What's new
What's new

Making Engine pulleys??

johnnydmetal

Cast Iron
I just stroked my 360 FE to 401.1 cu. basically specs out between a 407 and a 410. This will be the core for my 68 Ford F100 2wd.
I am doing a ground up rebuild of the entire truck from electrolysis on the full frame, new disc brake system (all round. No more Drums), Air ride self leveling 4 full bags, custom Cab mods, new rubber, full cut and weld of all cancer (rust), and all the bells and whistles.
So after all the overhaul and custom work that I’ve planed for the chassis I would like to dress the engine appropriately. I’m installing a 4 core radiator with dual electric fans so the pump mounted fan goes bye bye. I would like to go with billet pulleys and possibly a single serpentine belt, but I have not been able to find suitable parts for the 360-390 as small blocks sets seem to be all that’s out there. I plan to add an AC compressor as well as power steering and from what I’ve seen most are set up with a two belt system. This would be fine but as I said I have had trouble locating the sets.
I do have a SB H10” lathe but without some pattern info producing my own could turn into a bit of a headache in several ways.
Making my own pulleys seams like an awesome addition to a full custom truck project and an awesome way to break in my recently assembled h10. She still needs the right gearbox but the drive table, ways, carriage, and headstock all are clean and tight. Funny thing I have had a bit of trouble locating the correct gearbox and lead screw combination, as well as the correct banjo. So I have the ability to hand feed but the whole idea of the h10 is screw cutting ability. I’ll get there soon I just have to keep looking.
Does anybody have specs for producing engine pulleys or recommend a book for that?
If anybody knows of a reasonably priced supplier out there and if so do they have a web page I’d appreciate the information?

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving
John

By the way – Does anyone have a source for lacing staples? I have the crimping tool and 4 or 5 belts but I need to pick up some staples. A regular source would be best. Thanks.

Cool! I wanna see pictures of your truck, in progress and done.
Are you going to use fuel injection or carburator?
I have often dreaned of taking a nice old truck frame and making the guts all new.

A pulley for a Serpintine flat belt seems easy enough to make on the lathe but it is not dicused like the v-belts in the SB manuals. Also the bracketing of the AC,Alternator,and PS pump needs to line up everthing correctly.
Another thing about the pulleys is should they be cut with a channel thats flat (square), concave, or slightly humped as seen on some machinery. I have also seen the cogged belt pulleys as well. Belt tensioning is also something to consider. Could have slotted brackets or brackets that just hold the accessories in place and build a tensioning wheel like most modern engines do. which is also another pulley.
Thoughts?

Something like this ?

fordbb.jpg

There was a discussion recently about serpentine geometry. I believe it is micro Vee or something.

ARB

What do you want to know? If you knew the basics,
material, groove depth, diameter ratios, blah,
blah, blah. Would that be it? I make custom
made pulleys for alternator conversions on
Limousines, all groove depths, center to center
locations are all standard. You need to know
the sizes as to not over or underspin the
accesories. You could measure the old V-belt
pulleys on the accesories to estimate sizes,
you can get your alignments from your pulley
design or respacing your accesories. It's a
piece of cake, it just takes a trained eye
and the right groove tool design. PM me with
any questions, I can help and give ideas.

Thats basicly the idea ARB. I want to have AC as well. I found a sight that sells the pulleys and they start at 790 a set. Sheesh... I can make my own Billets or even pick up stock pieces from the scrap yard down the road.

Dualkit... I appreciate any help you can give me.
It's 1:44 AM and I just came in from the shop. I will send you a PM tommarrow sometime.
If anyone else has Ideas Please share.
john

John include your phone # in the PM, I can
call anywhere in US, no charge. The most important is material selection, you will
need easy to machine and low wear. Limousines
are abused and I can make them to go well over
100,000 miles, I made my first ones 7 years
ago on a Hardinge Chucker of all things. If
I help you I must request a 5 star rating as
I have taken a few 1s lately for speaking the
truth and I now sit at 3.68, that's a damn
C minus where I come from.,..........Bob

From an old die hard Ford guy, pulleys have given me the most grief over the years. Change to a different waterpump and you can't see the timing marks. Get a different crankshaft dampener and the old crank pulley no longer works. I have spent 3 days rooting around in the wrecking yards looking for the correct pulley. I would rather swap out a transmission than mess with pulleys. :D

If I help you I must request a 5 star rating as I have taken a few 1s lately for speaking the truth and I now sit at 3.68, that's a damn C minus where I come from.,..........Bob
Bob,
Wear that rating like a badge of honor. I've gotten to the point where I can predict fairly accurately when my rating is gonna drop a few points when I piss off some know-nothing who couldn't find his ass with both hands and a flashlight. I figure the rating system lets some clown with erectile dysfunction take out his frustrations here when someone doesn't agree with him, and that's better than him beating on his wife. Guys like you and I are providing a valuable service in this respect. Last time I noticed, even Forrest didn't have 5 stars, so we're in good company as far as I'm concerned :D

Serious question for you. Do you hard anodize your pulleys to get the wear resistance? Having spent a while in the tire industry, I know rubber is right up there with a 24 grit grinding rock when it comes to abrasive characteristics, so I assume that would be a necessity on an aluminum pulley for a poly-vee belt.

Well I've been here for almost 5 years and look Ma no stars. I don't know how much advice of my own has been given freely but thats cool. I appreciate the board for all the advice I've recieved and if you want the stars thats cool too.
I Spent the whole day with my wife and kids yesterday so I didn't get to PM and I was just peaking in to check my email right now. I've got to leave for workin a minute but will send email tonight.
John

Metlmunchr, while I am not a metallurgist the
answer to the wear problem is 7075T6, I experimented with annodization and found it
isn't that abrasion resistant as you could spin
it in a lathe, hit it with Scotch-Brite and it
comes off. The only problem with 7075, it will
dull faster than 6061 and needs polishing. I
think I picked up my dings on my record mostly
arguing electricity with people who preach
what they read in a book, but never even changed
a light switch.

Back