What's new
What's new

hacksaw miter box?

A286

Plastic
I've been looking for a miter box to use with a hacksaw in order to make right angle and 45 degree cuts on small pieces of steel and aluminum stock. I have used a miter box design to cut wood, but the kerf on this box is too wide for the thin hacksaw blade and a less than ideal cut is the result.

Is there a miter box dedicated to a hacksaw and where can I obtain one?

Well applying your woodworking comparison a good joiner would make his own mitre box by carefully laying out and cutting so I'm sure that the same could be applied here. I take it you don't have access to a chop saw or bandsaw??

They are about fouty $ try a carpet supply place. If you don't fined one let me know. I have a place localy that I can get them.
David

You could add a "zero clearance" insert made out of Delrin or bearing bronze to a wooden miter box.

Also, hobby shops have little tiny ones for building balsa wood models.

Goodell Pratt used to make one...... they show up reasonably at auction from time to time... including ebay..... they sell for $ 50 to 150 depending on how much original paint is left on them. Here is a catalog page showing one....

hack saw miter box

I would make some slotted, and hardened flat stock pieces. Similar in concept to the blade guides on a bandsaw, but not angled towards the direction of blade travel (perpendicular to it).

The idea is that the kerf/guide is adjustable for angluar alignment and also for width of the kerf.

Home the bolts when you are ready for a test.

You may be able to base this on some heavy-wall square steel box tubing with appropriate pieces cut away.

Back