What's new
What's new

gear cutter no. for ten teeth?

jmp

Cast Iron
I need to cut a bunch of ten tooth gears and am not sure which cutter I need. I see that a no. 8
cutter will do down to 12 teeth but see no cutter listed for 11 or below. I sort of understand (I think) the special considerations for cutting these low tooth count gears but am wondering if off the shelf cutters exist. The gear in question is small .300 dia. I've looked through machinery's handbook about this till my head hurts. I was REALLY hoping stock drive products or boston gear would have these gears ready made but no luck there or anywhere else. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike
p.s. not sure of what the pressure angle is yet.

See if you can find Quality Rod and Gear on Google. They made me some 6 tooth stem pinions. A stem pinion has very long teeth - gears could be parted off from such a piece.

John

I don't believe it is doable with a milling cutter since the root of the tooth is actually wider than at the pitch line. The shaper method is required.

Yes, I got to thinking about it today, and I was wrong in saying it had to be shaped.

Your gonna need to know the pressure angle. once you have that just goto msc's site then search gear cutters. its all pretty much layed out for you.

Thanks for all the advice,links etc..! Quality rod and Grobinc may have what I need. I looked through the MSC site again but only see cutters up to no. 8. I'm guessing that gears with 11 teeth or less are outside the realm of standard cutters and require a special geometry. If pressed I may be able to squeek by with a no. 8 as this gear is in somewhat of a loosey goosey situation but I want to do it right if possible.
I'm hoping to stop by a customer of mine tomorrow and use his comparator to find the pressure angle (unless there is anther way?)
Thanks again,
Mike

Hi Mike:
Low tooth count pinions are very hard or impossible to get cutters for.
You can make your own however, and it's not very difficult to do.
You will be best off using a non-standard pressure angle unless these gears have to mate with an existing gear train, in which case you have to stick with the pressure angle of the existing gear.
I wrote a blurb on how to make/fake gear cutters in this forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sherline/
Get signed in to the Yahoo group and then go trolling in the files section for it.
I think I called it "Gear cutter design 101" or something like that.
It comes with pictures that you can walk through.
If you have trouble figuring it all out, give a shout back on the forum and I'll go through it with you.
Cheers

Marcus

Mike,
how many is a bunch?
what's the face width?

eg: 10 tooth 14.5 PA 40 DP.
gear10t01.jpg

single tooth cutter, 3/8" shank, needs to be longer.
10t145CUTR01.jpg

Cheers Les H.

Back