What's new
What's new

right oil for speedmaster drill press

Xtrucker_99

Cast Iron
hi guys,
i bought a used speedmaster 3 1/2 x 10" radial arm drill press. the fluids were all drained. i put hydraulic oil (iso 32) in the head so i could run it and check the feeds & speeds. after fixing the wiring and running it everthing works but its leaking out the spindle and the levers. is this just the wrong oil or will i need to put in new seals?
thank you
dt

It's impossible to know what kind of oil the drill should take without a manual. The vast majority of machine tools use hydraulic oil in the spindles and gear boxes. If your machine is leaking ISO-32, putting in 46 or 68 won't stop the leaks or even slow them down very much.

My suggestion would be to replace the seals and get a copy of the manual to know for sure.
JR

hi john,
a lot of gear boxes on old machines are filled with a thick black oil and the gears look fine after fifty to 90 yrs. why do modern machines have to have light weight oil. is it so they wear out faster or just not made as well?

dt

How are you doing dt?

My 1934 Pratt & Whitney Model B 20" X 48" lathe hated heavy oil - got so hot with 40wt you could barely stand to touch the top of the headstock.

I always figured it was because these lathes were about the first to have ground gears - very closely fitted - and no room for thick oil to be squeezed thru.

My P&W 3B jig bore (1949) says put Velocite 6 in the gear box - which is like water. (It is also always seeping out, too!)

John

My cinci toolmaster leaks at the spindle seal. So if I walk up and spin the spindle without wiping it all down first I get a nice streak of oil right across the middle of my shirt. :(

you guys are right i put in 90 wt gear oil and it still leaks. not nearly as fast though. thats what i get for buying modern machinery (and an import to boot). i guess i will keep drilling on the old barnes and sell the speedmaster as a fixer upper or trade for something useful.
thanks for all the help

dt

Back