What's new
What's new

Knurling with Craftsman lathe

alrednek

Aluminum
I'd like to learn how to knurl with my Craftsman model 101 12x36 lathe. I recently bought a Phase II quick change toolpost setup and fitted it to the lathe. The quick change setup came with a knurling tool block holding two knurling wheels. I've heard stories about the cross slides breaking on Craftsman lathes when using excessive force or from extreme vibration. That's one reason I went to the toolpost type setup- to have more rigidity. Would this knurling setup be safe to use on my lathe? Would I be able to apply enough force to knurl aluminum and an occasional steel piece without risking damage to my lathe? I know the Craftsman lathe is light-duty but it's all I have. I'd like to have the capability to do occasional knurling but don't want to destroy the lathe in the process. I've also heard of a scissors type knurling tool but don't know exactly how it's made. Would that be a better choice? Does anyone have a quick tutorial or a brief description of the knurling process to offer?

The scissors type knurler would be a better choice for knurling with a pressure knurl. If you can use a cut knurl that might even be better.

If you get a scissors type knurler I found that the Eagle Rock tool was a much better tool than the cheap import I had to send back. Better made tool & knurls, no real slack in the pivot and it mounted in the AXA tool right off.

I've knurled low carbon steel and AL on my 6" Atlas w/ lantern toolpost and pressure knurl. I did it like it says in "How to run a lathe", feed in 1/64" at a time, waiting until the cut finishes before feeding in more.

Knurling techniques have been discussed a few times on this board, you might use the search option & have a look at them.

Regards,

Greg

i started out on a 6"X36" Atlas.
i still use the same procedure my Dad taught me.
set the feed as fast as you can or 60% the width of the knurling tool, whichever is the closest.
run the spindle slow, depending on the wokpiece diameter.
use lots of oil.
feed the knurling tool in until the form is generated then back off some.
engage the carriage feed or half nuts whichever is appropiate.
feed in one direction then reverse the feed direction and simutaniously feeding in the cross slide until you reach the origional number where the knurl was started or you are satisified with the form...jim

I used to knerl on my Craftsman/ Atlas 6" lathe but it was hard on the half nuts. Broke one once and bent the lead screw. had to replace the screw. It does a good job in back gear and fine feed but takes lots of lube. Just plain hare on the lathe though.

Bill

Back