What's new
What's new

best jig saw

surplusjohn

Diamond
Bosch? corded or battery? for general work and prototype work. I want to get rid of my Delta 20 inch scroll saw. Need control and clean cuts, do not need my arm shook off.

John,

I cant advise which is the best brand, but I bought a decent Sears Craftsman about 15 years ago that has served me well. It has two really good features to look for:

variable speed - esp. when control is needed or to minimize heat when cutting plastics

Rotating "quill" which locks in 4 different positions relative to the saw body and shoe.

I have used a bunch of different jig saws over the years... primarily when I was building theatrical sets. Black and Decker, Craftsman, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, and Bosch.

My personal preference is definatly the Bosch... though the DeWalt and Milwaukee both have their supporteres, and they are american made (or at least american brands). Porter-Cable makes a good piece at the top end, but it is pricy and very heavy. The Bosch is very well balanced and the whole unit is real easy to use and very high quality. I've had one of my own for the last 3 years, and I run it hard, and it has never let me down, nor is it showing any signs of wear.

For some reason I'm under the impresion that Bosch invented the hand held jig (sabre) saw, but I'm not sure where I got that.

B

Bosch. I use mine to cut sheets of 16 ga. steel down small enough to fit in my shear. I burned up many saws until getting the Bosch.

I have a Bosch 750 600w mains jigsaw. I'm pretty impressed by it. the weight is nice in the hands but not too heavy, it has an anti-vibration counterbalance, and variable speed, as well as 4 stage pendulum action. I've gone through 18mm chipboard with this thing on about the slowest speed it'll go, and it's a pleasure to use. Cuts are clean, plenty of power - wouldn't hesitate to make the same choice.

I vote for the Bosch, barrel grip style. I find it easier to manuver than the top-handle model. The blade backup bearing is a good feature as well as the anti-splinter insert for the shoe. My only complaint is I wish the sawdust blower was a little more powerful.

[ 07-26-2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: reggie_obe ]

We bought a Bosch 1587DVS for use at work to cut through desktops and stuff to insert cable grommets.

We had a Black and Decker and a Skil. Those things would shake the crap out of you, especially cutting through metal, thought there was a dull chisel doing the cutting. The Bosch is smooth, real smooth. I couldn't believe the difference.

I guess I have always thought of the sabre saw as a tool for a very unfinished cut so why bother spending the money. Now I know that like everying else you get what you pay for.

I always used Bosch, but recently bought a Rigid, I think its every bit the equal and perhaps even better. They are now offering lifetime service on all their tools too, even batteries for cordless tools.

Witch ever brand you go with, do not get the battery powered. It works great for awhile and then the battery will start to go and you'll have to replace it and replace it and replace it. Plus the battery operated ones don't have the same power that the corded ones have. Although battery power is more convienent, I don't see to many situations where your not near an outlet or cutting at some odd angle high up on scaffolding in a precarious position to warrant the battery. HTH

First, I hate jigsaws. Had a bunch, still got a bunch, use them for ALL SORTS of stuff but use them as a last resort.

That said, there are still times they will do the job more easily.

I've got a Hitachi corded, same quality as the Bosch and I like it. I'd probably recommend the Bosch as my Hitachi is about 10 years old and I don't know how the current one compares. I've NEVER found a Bosch tool I didn't like.

I've got the 18v cordless Bosch and will respectfully disagree with MT Harris about it's lack of ability. I do tons of plunge cuts with it through 3/4 plywood with no problems. I'm VERY impressed that tool, as I am ALL of Bosch's 18v tools.

They offer a 2 year warrantly on their batteries, but I've not found them lacking after about 1 3/4 years. Considering the times I used a jigsaw because a stationary tool wouldn't work, the cord is ALWAYS an issue and frequently gets caught under my feet, wedged in the saw kerf, caught on the corner of the piece being cut, whatever.

Tooless blade changing is a PLUS. Just like the tool itself, I find you get what you pay for with the blades as well. As nasty expensive as they are, if I'm cutting on expensive wood, I use the Bosch blades that have no teeth set. Leaves a cut that requires NO sanding and is satin smooth.

Tools

For the newest fancy saws, I'd probably vote Milwaukee. However, my overall preference is for the older-style Bosch ones. The kind you change the blade with a 12" screwdriver. I have an old one with one speed and a pistol grip. If I had it to do over again I'd get the VS barrel type. But I like the old, simple blade change.

I don't use jig saws, but my in-laws do. They have a nursery, and every year have a holiday bazaar where they sell lawn ornaments and other such decorating pieces.

They cut out santas, reindeer, sleighs, that kind of thing out of 1/2" and 3/4" plywood, using jig saws. For years they bough Craftsman, Skil, and B&D saws and were resigned to burning up one or two every season.

About ten years ago I asked this question at the local tool emporium, and they turned me onto Bosch jig saws. I bought my in-laws one, and after a couple of years (as their lesser saws crapped out) they replaced their old ones with Bosch. To this day they've not had to replace any of them. I'm a believer.

I have had a Bosch mains operated variable speed and variable pendulum for about 20 years. Cut a lot of sheet metal and wood. I like it. One thing, not long after I first got it there was a loud bang, bright flash and lots of smoke. Scared the clap out of me. When I pulled it apart I found the remains of an exploded capacitor. Rang the local repair agent who told me just to snip out the capacitor and keep using the saw. The capacitor is just to conform to EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) laws and has no effect on the performance of the saw.

Michael.

I use jig saws all day long and two stand out as the best, the porter cable and the bosch.
The drawback is that the grips are large,(especially if you have small paws) but I normally use them as a barrel grip style and seem to get better control with them that way.
The 'square' style black and deckers are a very good all around saw, light, easy to handle, and have a comfortable grip,(not the single speed style) I've had them last a couple years, using them 4 or 5 hours a day, better than you'd expect for the low $30-$40 price
If the saw starts jumping, and pounding you silly, you have too course a blade, or are too close to the backing.

Stay away from the cordless versions, they are handy as all get out IF you need them, as in working away from lines, but if you have power youll be far happier. Most of my cordless tools only get used on quick jobs when it would take as much time to find power and run the cords as it would to do the job, they have the power to do the job most of the time,, but when they run out, you still have to find an outlet.

Ken.

I've used lots of scary jigsaws over the years, until I bought a top handle Porter Cable 15 years ago. I've used this to death on wood, ashphalt shingles and metal. Still works great!
Russ

Back