What's new
What's new

I've got new bearings for spindle rebuild, but no manual. Trouble?

J. Elliott

Hot Rolled
Fellas,

My saga getting a 3 HP, variable speed milling head to work right has improved a good bit. When I bought the head, neither I nor seller had seen it run. I got it for a decent if not rock-bottom price. $1,000 for a 40 taper, quick-change spindle nose head from a Series II sized mill isn't all that bad, even if it needs some work. Finding 40 taper heads with the Erikson nose isn't easy, so I've hung onto this banged up one, hoping to get 'er up-n-running someday.

Well, eBay finally came through for me on new bearings. Problem with this head is .008" runout - enough to easily see, and enough to make the machine shake violently at certain speeds. Time for a spindle rebuild.

I've now got three matched sets of new Barden 109HDL bearings. I guess that's one set to screw up, one to seat correctly, and then a spare. But here's my last remaining problem - no manual for this head. I've got one last chance to find a copy, but it looks like I might have to take this head to a rebuilder without any documentation. Is this going to be a big setback? Or do most spindle rebuilders know how to tear one of these down and work without a schematic?

Below is a link to the type mill this head is from. It is a DoAll Spanish rebadge, their model FV-1V. (I've only got the head, not the whole mill.) The head is stout and pretty nice expect for this killer runout and the shaking. If I can get it running right for about $2K or less I'll be satisfied, as it sure beats the hell out of an R8 Bridgeport head.

Lastly, does anyone have a clue as to what the rebuild might cost when I show up with bearings in hand? My guess is that the rebuilders take a markup on bearings and won't be too happy to see me with bearings already, but heck if I'll spend $500 on a new set when eBay offered up three pair for $180...

http://www.machineryvalues.com/xdetails.cfm/QN/119769

Putting in spindle bearings is pretty easy. I have done many of them, but there is really nothing to it. Just take some time, and remember where all the parts go.
The quill should come out, then the spindle bearings are in there, easy to take out, easy to replace.

QMT is correct. The spindle bearings are pretty straight forward, but my guess is your vibration problem is gonna be a little farther north.

Back