What's new
What's new

Who makes good quality lathes?

jack-of-all

Plastic
Does anyone have a recomendation for a good quality 13" x 40" lathe. we are looking at Clausing and Hardinge is out of our price range. Are there any other brands we should consider? Thanks

In the "not Asian" contingent, Nardini, TOS and Lion...although I don't know if Lion makes a lathe that small.

In the Asian realm, the better Tawainese makes like Victor, Sharp, and Acer have some nice machines.

I have had good results with my Lux Matter 14 x 40 lathe which is manufactured in Taiwan. It has many of the characteristics of a tool room machine.

Good grief jack, I just noticed you are in Chicago !!

All you have to do is head to McCormick place *today* and your head will be spinning with possiblities !! (but consult with us before you place your P.O. ;) )

I'm going tomorrow, but I wanted to get an idea of who to look at so I don't have to hit them all. I'm trying to make the most of my time.

Good. Head on over the DMG booth and get back to us what's on the menu so we can plan our lunches accordingly ;)

Since he said Clausing was out of his price range, I figured SM would be way out of his price range. As I recall the 1340 is in the 10,000 USD realm with *no* tooling at all..no steady rest, nothing. Plus it's kinda light duty compared to Nardini, TOS, etc.

Still, a like new late model used SM 1340 might be a consideration...could probably get a real nice one with tooling in the $4,000 range.

(on edit)

I just looked in an old Blue Ridge catalog and the SM 1340 "Skillmaster" was base priced at $10,750...and that was over 6 years ago. :eek:

The way he said it I thought he meant both Clausing and Hardinge were out of his price range, but a re examination of his text indicates you are probably correct !

What say ye, jack ?

What about Cadillac or Webb? Both are stout machines that seem to hold up to heavy use. The ones I have seen make similar size Clausing seem rather light duty.

Michael

J-O-A:
I second the S-M 1340 lathe.
I have one and "love it" These are well thought of here in Canada, good parts and technical support. Many of these lathes can be found in repair shops and tech schools. (an Instructor once told me that he figured they had to be good because the students would find a way to break then if they could)
Used S-M 1340 with a small amount of tooling usually sells here for under $3000 cdn depending on the age.
My 1340 was built in 1972, and came from a college it needed some tlc, but the hard ways don't show much wear, and the headstock is still like new. Spindle bearings are tapered rollers, and about 6" in dia.

PM member Mebfab had one for sale a while back.

Pete

I'm not a great role model, and most have bought more lathes than I have.

Having said that... I would buy a better quality older model than a new lesser model.

Also, consider what the machine will be doing. Older US built may not have metric threading. All things being equal... weight, is a good thing.

Cadillac and Webb are good too, I forgot about those...but if thinking new, does Cadillac (lathes) still exist ?

Hmmm...I see Yoder slathered some of his famous blue porch paint on yet another victim. Seems to come with nothing other than a 3 jaw chuck.

I'd hold out for a nicer one with original paint, 5C collet lever, more chucks, steady rest, etc...esp at that price.

BTW, there were some rumours going around that Standard Modern was importing some of their components from offshore, such as castings. I called them and asked about this. The rep I spoke to just laughed and she invited me to visit the plant and have a look for myself. All parts are made in Canada or the US.

For 5k you would think this yoder guy could take some better pictures. Maybe 2 pictures even. I'm with DT on this one, that blue paint is terrible.

Back