What's new
What's new

OT: Renewing a McAfee Anti-virus on a Dell - Gets Cheaper the Longer You Wait?

morsetaper2

Diamond
Question here. I bought a Dell computer late in June of '05. It came w/ one year of MacAfee anti-virus, firewall, etc, etc.

Been happy w/ it, no issues. About 6 mos ago they started hitting me w/ "renew now" at 20% savings about every month. My 1 yr subscription was up 2 months ago, yet I still download my updates every day or few.

Well the first renew that came was 20% off, then a month or so later it was 30% off...then it was 35%...then 40%, "renew now"...etc. The most recent was 50% off at $65 for a year.

Anybody have any feedback on how low they will go if I keep holding off? Or should I not be greedy and take it now. Adding a different anti-virus/firewall could cause me and my system problems. Not to mention the time involved doing an install, troubleshooting, unblocking sights that I don't want the firewall to block, permissions, etc.

Thanks, Mark

I've tried McAfee and Norton, but not very satisfied with either. Tried Panda for a while, too. It was a memory hog. Presently using Safe&Secure from the cable company and it seems fine. Was told by a reliable source to check out http://www.avast.com. It's free, and supposedly works good. Warning: Uninstall your old anti-virus before installing the new one. Also, turn off your firewall before you start.

I dislike McAfee intensely. Just try and "uninstall" the thing sometime

I've used Grisoft AVG for quite awhile (free for home use), and now use

Avast along with AVG. One or the other slows the computer sometimes, but I've had few problems using them.

Fire them bastiges now...... That's my opinion.

McAfee was good, but after tehy got bought up, the trouble started.

My last copy was 30 days from it's 1 year expiration when it began popping up literally every 20-30 seconds with a "renew now" popup message.

I could not get it to go away, it made the computer completely unusable.

I regarded this as something between hijacking, a holdup, and blackmail, and I will never in my life have anything to do with them again.

And I make a point of repeating teh story whenever the subject comes up.... just to cost them more customers.

Get AVG. It works, probably better than EITHER McAfee or Norton/Symantec, and has caused no trouble.

AND IT IS FREE!

Sounds like some magazines I subscribed to.

I also went to renew a McAfee some months ago and was put off by the fact that the renewal rate was basically the full price of a new version, in a box with instruction book. Norton wouldn't give me a break either. So I went to you know where and bought VCOM for about $40. It has worked better than either Norton or McAfee ever did. I have had no problems. But I wonder what they will want when the year ends.

Back