What's new
What's new

OT Security Camera

Jim Bob

Plastic
Orlando 24 years, before that Shadyside Ohio
My wife wants me to set up some cameras around our house and at my shop, the shop being the most important for me. I have been looking, and not knowing much about them thought I would ask here for some ideas as what to look for. I guess what I need to know is what would be the most important thing to look for in a camera. I want to be able to record and I want the image to be clear. Are there some specifications that would be more important to look for? I have seen cameras for all prices. For the area I have to cover I am thinking I am going to need at least 10 cameras. So the price would have to be considered too. I know a camera won't stop someone from trying to break in but I might at least get an idea of what is going on. I do have a security system in my shop and house, but that Alarm Company will not put any cameras in. The last time someone got into my shop the SOB knew he had sometime before the police would get there. I did get everything back and he got 7 years. Thanks for any suggestions.

Axis makes good networked cameras. Part of what you need to decide is whether you want to actually ID someone or get more general video instead. The higher the quality, the more it'll cost, obviously.

I have another business that is a self-serve car wash. I have been using camera systems and vcr's for many years. You can spend anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I have assembled systems from individual components and bought a couple of systems from Sam's club. A small paperback book could easily be written about this topic, so I don't think anyone can tell you what you need to know in a few lines here on the PM website. I am going to post a link here to a very reputable fellow from the car wash business that can answer any questions you may have as well as sell you any equipment you may wish to purchase. I bought some of the "motion activated" lights with cameras from the X-10 folks and I don't think very much of them. I prefer "hard-wired" as opposed to wireless technology.
http://www.carwashcameras.com/about.htm

As you said, a camera will not stop a really dumb dipshit from breaking in because he is to stupid to care and will more than likely be caught easily.

I would be willing to wager though that a visible camera system, even the fake ones, would make most would be thieves move on knowing their mug is being recorded.

Being as our shop is in an bad area of town we had problems with scrap and stock being stole from our lot, once the cameras went up not one thing has walked away since.

On edit........CRAP!!!
Freaking old as hell thread......sorry

Some new data has emerged: Foscam cameras and their OEM variants are known to freeze image when normally complex images are constantly imaged -- things like trees full of leaves.

Also, certain camera systems report back to China even when requested not to. Images and credentials both. So yeah, some updates...

Chip

Ive got the Arlo camera systems at my shop and house. You get text pings from the app on your mobile phone when theres activity. I live a block from the shop so its easy to check in person. Cloud storage, so they cant take/remove the evidence. Also, theres no fee for storage. And they are HD so you can actually see faces and license plate numbers. No fixed IP address required. Battery powered and wireless so no wires. Uses a proprietary wireless Access point so harder to hack into the feed. I also keep a couple cameras on small DVRs to record outside and and inside shop continously.

Back