What's new
What's new

Choosing a Milling Machine

craig c

Plastic
I'm in the market for a vertical milling machine to be used in my hobby shop. I like to tinker so it's not for production. My heart says to buy a used Bridgeport and then spend more money fixing it and converting it to single phase. My head says to buy a Grizzly or something similiar that is brand new. A new Grizz is $3000 and a Bridgeport is ???? Is the quaility sufficient enough on a Grizz to meet the needs of a hobbyist or am I buying a piece of junk ?? Thanks for your time in helping me solve this dilemma.

You can often find a used Bridgeport in good shape for that kind of money- sometimes less. For another $300 or so you can install a vfd to get it onto single phase and get adjustable speed.

A Griz will do fine (modulo DOA parts or unfortunate luck in being shipped a lemon), but a Bridgeport will always be a nicer machine and parts are plentiful from all over, whereas with the Griz you'll be stuck with whatever parts Grizzly has and best of luck getting anything out of them in a couple years when they've abandoned your model machine.

But whatever you choose, the point is to get on with it. You'll never get anywhere sitting on the fence and whichever you go with will have tradeoffs.

As is likely apparent, I bought a Bridgeport because the dealer happened to have a sweet little one right there. At the time I was considering a Jet, and have never in the slightest regretted having bought the Bridgeport instead.

Regards,

Greg

for my money $3000 would buy one hell of a used bridgeport plus tooling. I paid about $1200 for my step pulley j heat w/ collets vise, a set of dogs, delivered on my dock. it is a bit beat up for precision work but for the more general types of fabrication I do it is a stellar machine and has not complained or even hiccuped in all the things I have put it through.
the bridgeport or a decent copy will almost certainly be more satisfying to use in the long term.

If you know how to inspect one and don't need to buy the first one you see, you can buy a heck of a BP, probably with tooling, for $3k. Prices seem to be creeping up, or maybe it is a function of the fact that the dollar is going down the tubes (inflation). But over the past few years around here, a good BP with vise and probably DRO at auction tended to run $1800 - $2500. (Used DRO should not figure highly in the price, generally. But if it does end up all working, it is a nice bonus) Have seen a couple of really good series 2 sell for right around 3K if you can house a big one. 2 saturdays ago I was at a weekend auction (worst time for prices, because all the HSM's are out in full force) and a very well maintained older BP series 1 from the toolroom only use, with 42" table, faded paint, DRO, full set of collets, vise, some other toolholders & "misc" tooling went for right around $3K at Cornell U. (I seem to remember $2950, but it might have made it over the 3 mark, I was only half paying attention at the other end of the room).

OTOH, there are also a lot of junk BP's that are priced quite high. So you do need to be able to check it out in person if paying the larger amount. IOW, paying more to an unknown vendor, does not automatically insure a better machine.

smt

I think you should be patient and wait to find a good/used BP. Just my opinion. I picked up my V.S. Bp with Mitutoyo DRO, Bp Vise, tooling, Servo Powerfeed, Bijur lube system for $1,500. Chromed ways and is smooth as glass and very accurate. Not abused in the least. I vote for patience and you'll be better for it.--Grant

If you change your mind 1 year from now, your only loss on the Bp is the wholesale/retail spread in price. The depreciation due to age is about all gone. The grizzly is like a new car. About 30% depreciation for driving it off the lot, and then add on the wholesale/retail spread, and you will be lucky to get 40% of purchase price in one year.

I'd highly recommend shelling out the extra bucks for a Taiwan machine rather than a China machine if you decide to buy new. Jet, Sharp, etc sell Taiwanese mills. Between those two, the nod goes to the Sharp unless you get an awesome deal on a Jet like I did. You will not regret the $1.5K or so difference.

I learned on a used BP that had about .015" of leadscrew backlash. My Jet has .005" and everything feels smoother.

Oh yea, and buy 3-phase. Get a nice converter off Ebay (I like Phase-A-Matic) and run all your machine tools on 3-phase. Less vibration.

"If you change your mind 1 year from now, your only loss on the Bp is the wholesale/retail spread in price."

That is absolutely true except for the shipping and rigging. What a huge PITA for an HSM who doesn't have access to a forklift and large trailer.

I needed a good "hobby size" mill too. After a long process of analyzing all my options, I bought a new JET JVM-836 and I am very pleased with it. Here is how I came to that decision.

My shop is in my garage, and I don't have a loading dock or a forklift, nor do I have many friends that will help me with anythig, so shipping and delivery was a major concern.

I don't have a phase convertor and didn't want to spend extra money on that.

I wanted a used Bridegeport, however they always fit into one of the following categories:

(1) Anything under $5000 was junk, and I could see that just from the pictures.

(2) Anything that looked promising was not near my location and I can't take days off work every time I want to go look at a mill to purchase. On something that has to be shipped by truck to a residential address, once you get it, you pretty much have to keep it. (Unless you own a truck and forklift). I was't willing to gamble.

(3)All of the good tools at reasonable prices sold immediately, before I even had a chance.

(4) All of the places I contacted said that I would be responsible for picking up the tool at their location. Cost to hire a service to do this and then deliver it to me and set it in my garage was $1500-$2000+.

I worked out a deal with my local JET dealer, and for $50, they arranged it so the tool was delivered right to my house and I knew exactly what day and time it would arrive. The trucking company set the crate in front of my garage door. Then the JET dealer sent people over to help me get the mill off the crate and into place in my garage.

I am very pleased with the performance of the JVM-836 too. It's not as huge as a Bridgeport, but is way better than a benchtop mill. Fits nicely in the garage, has plenty of capability for me, runs on 120 volts, has full warranty.

I needed a good "hobby size" mill too. After a long process of analyzing all my options, I bought a new JET JVM-836 and I am very pleased with it. Here is how I came to that decision.

My shop is in my garage, and I don't have a loading dock or a forklift, nor do I have many friends that will help me with anythig, so shipping and delivery was a major concern.

I don't have a phase convertor and didn't want to spend extra money on that.

I wanted a used Bridegeport, however they always fit into one of the following categories:

(1) Anything under $5000 was junk, and I could see that just from the pictures.

(2) Anything that looked promising was not near my location and I can't take days off work every time I want to go look at a mill to purchase. On something that has to be shipped by truck to a residential address, once you get it, you pretty much have to keep it. (Unless you own a truck and forklift). I was't willing to gamble.

(3)All of the good tools at reasonable prices sold immediately, before I even had a chance.

(4) All of the places I contacted said that I would be responsible for picking up the tool at their location. Cost to hire a service to do this and then deliver it to me and set it in my garage was $1500-$2000+.

I worked out a deal with my local JET dealer, and for $50, they arranged it so the tool was delivered right to my house and I knew exactly what day and time it would arrive. The trucking company set the crate in front of my garage door. Then the JET dealer sent people over to help me get the mill off the crate and into place in my garage.

I am very pleased with the performance of the JVM-836 too. It's not as huge as a Bridgeport, but is way better than a benchtop mill. Fits nicely in the garage, has plenty of capability for me, runs on 120 volts, has full warranty.

Hy,
If a used bridgeport is around, buy it. You´ll love the working envelope and the versatile.
But buy a good one, tooled up, with a digital readout and with all that belongs to it even if this means you have to wait. It doesn´t hurt to take a look at 4 or 5 machines to get a feeling.
If you buy at an auction, show up early and bring donuts. Often, former employees hang around there and can tell you stories about the machines when properly bribed...
Concerning the Grizzlys: These are also nice machines, too. we discussed this here not too long ago:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/21347.html

Cheers,
Johann

I reciently was in the sam boat as you. after talking to people in the business they pushed me towards a used machine. I bought a used 1998 supermax mill, it looks and seems to work just like a bridgeport, I bought it for 2500, and picked up a rotery phase converter for 20 bucks. I doubt you will find a converter that cheep but i just got very lucky. but you can buy a static phase converter for about 75 Bucks on ebay. I just would select a machine just bacause its new, because you get what you pay for. And most people I know that get one tend to do more and more work, so you will avoid upgrading. I hope that helps you If you are in need of a converter i could help you out. I bought a static, then made a rotery, then I got that one for 20 bucks (I should of paid over 500 for it but I found it in a friends barn and he was going to throw it out. Anyway I still have the other two if you ae interrested

btw Jet makes a bridgeport just like the supermax, a good friend has one and it is also great. I dont know the market where you are but around here, a bridgeport step mill (uses belts to change speeds) in good shape without digital readouts can be bought for about 1000 to 1500 I prob wouldnt pay more tham 1800 unless it was veriable speed

Those who say they can buy a Bridgeport for less than $2000 should...and then post them for resale.

The point is that they cannot find them consistently below that price set point. Finding one is luck...finding the next one is skill.

As for buying used, well it is like buying a GOOD used car....they are out there but it takes time, money and luck to find them.

I agree patience is needed to find and buy the right combination of used and economical Bridgeports. Do your homework and be prepared with cash in hand...reasonably priced mills usually last hours after posting the ad before they are purchased. In my experience, it is easier to find a good used lathe than a good used mill.

As has been pointed out, buying used over new will save you depreciation BUT is countered by the time and effort that it takes to find it.

TMT

well if you are near Evansville In let me know I know of an older bridgeport step mill with a phase converter and collets included for 1500 if you are interrested

Don't forget Bridgeport style mills by Hurco, Wells Index, and Cincinnatti as well. All good machines, many more robust than a bridgy as a plus

Back