What's new
What's new

Bought a mill today need electrical advice

j king

Stainless
Went to HGR to get a motor for my lathe.I was waiting on a friend to finish up and came across the just in area.I found a CINCINNATI CINEL 60 #205-12 with power overarm with double pivoting head plug a universal table plus the setup for a universal dividing head.Original paint and looked very good.I bought it without much thought since it was sidewalk sale day and they had all mills marked 30% off.I came home without the machine and was doing a little checking and all of them are 460 volts or so.I looked at the motors and they were 230/460.Well at least 2 of them that I saw were.Anyho can this thing run off 230 volts? That would suck if I drug it home only to find out that it has to be 460 only. Jim

Ps.No pics

Yes they will run off 230 3 phase if they are marked 230/460 or 240/480 and if you only have single phase you just need a converter. You will need to check the taps on the motor to see how it is wired the diagram is right on the name plate of most motors.
GD

I have that gundog.I figured it would but started to worry after thinking about it. Thanks

If your motor nameplate says 230/460 volts then it is just a matter of connections in the terminal box and there is probably some instruction or connection diagram on the motor to tell you how to do it. Don't worry if it says 220/440; it will still work.

KEN

One more thing if they were ran 480 or 460 actually same voltage and they have any switch gear or motor protection heaters they will need to be changed when the voltage is changed to 230 the amperage will double.
GD

You will also have to change the heaters in the motor starter for each motor in the machine. and dont forget the coolant pump motor. And the control transformer.

Are you saying it has am Independent Overarm Spindle? Commonly called an IOS. Or does it have a Toolmaster Spindle with the 40 Taper spindle, they look like a bridgeport on steroids and make the bridgeport look like the whimp it really is.

Many times they will equip the motors as dual volt but not the starters. look at the placard on electrical cabinet. If it states 460 then there is a good chance the starters are too small for switching to 230 V. The wiring could very well be too light as well. Don't just trust the motor placards.

Bluchip,
What you say could be true, but NOT a CHANCE IN HELL will you find any Cincinnati Mill made without the proper starter for the highest current draw, even the 50HP mills where maybe the starter and the motor wire size could be smaller if it were only run on 480.

Gary. No the head isnt like a bp.I found on elike that on the net.Cant find a pic like the one I got.It swivels like a Vannorman but I believe it has an extra joint.Takes cat 50 tools.Nice thing about HGR is you have 30 days to return if you arnt satisfied.Probably take 2 weeks to get it home tho.Too dang busy right now.

Ok...that's the IOS... and it has a green speed selector dial along with the stop , start push buttons hanging from a pendent?

Instead of changing the wiring, if it truely is 460/480, could he just get a transformer and wire it accordingly?
We had a Marvel saw that was 480 and we used a transformer to step the 230 power we had up to run it.
A small transformer might not be too bad a deal, all things condsidered.
David from jax

Yes, that;s the IOS... they change speeds with electric clutches in the overarem, the pendent has the start , stop buttons and the speed selector dial... The column and knee is as a regular machine.

Independent Overarm Spindle? Commonly called an IOS. They also made machines with a DOS...DEPENDENT Overarm Spindle.

Good machines..

No need for a transformer, it could be done that way but that is a real waste of time, money, and floor space. ALL of those machines were dual voltrage, ALWAYS.

Gary. Didnt you work for Cincinnati? It sticks in my head but I probably am wrong.

Back