What's new
What's new

OT what kind of chainsaw do you use?

jackal

Titanium
Around here there are some that use Poulan for the every now-and-then. A few old-timers with their McCullochs that they will never part with.

But, the most popular seem to be Husqvarna, and Stihl. With a few Dolmar Sachs, and Jonsereds.

I have 2 Husqvarnas, and a Poulan limb-saw that works pretty good.

Let me know,
Jackal :D :D :D :D :D

Stihl 041 Farmboss , that I found on the side of the road in 1981 (Yes, I ran an ad in the paper, no one ever claimed it) It "Stihl" runs like a new one. Also a big Pro-grade McCulloch that my Dad had, I think it is a Model 810.

Husqvarna 55 with a 20" bar. Use nothing but the finest Husky approved bar oil on it too!! :D

[ 08-01-2006, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: DryCreek ]

I have used and had good luck with Homelite,McCulloch,Poulan and now Husqvarna. Not so good with a Stihl.Used to cut about two or three ricks a week.

Stihl 039 that I bought new 25+ years ago. It still has the original spark plug, air filter, start cord and so on . I have averaged 5-6 cords of white oak and ash every year with this thing.
Still starts and runs like it did when it was new.

Dale Nelson

Jonsereds 111S
Homelite SXL-925
McCulloch 250
McCulloch Power Mac 610
Homelite VI-123
Homelite XL-103
Stihl 032ave
Sears 3.7PS POS
Poulan Super 25DA
Poulan Micro XXV

All vintage. I used to have more, but I cut down the collection. The Jonsereds 111S is a 110cc, 6.5HP saw--the largest they ever made. Not even sold in Sweden since the trees are too small. The SXL-925 is another very hot old saw--hemi power!

Electrolux currently owns Poulan, Husqvarna, Jonsered, and Partner. Cheaper Huskies are actually Poulans, most Jonsereds have sister Husky models, although they've been introducing some cool new ones as Jred-only. Stihl (pronounced "steel") still makes a lot of good saws, although they've been cheapening the lineup. Current other hot performers in chainsaws are Dolmar, Olympyk, Solo.

McCulloch and Homelite have virtually ceased to exist as viable companies and have only made trash since the '80s.

Husqvarna 55 with an 18" bar. Done nothing with it for 3 years but run it when needed. Problem is when I need it there's usually something going on I would rather not be doing. Damn trees ought to stay where they grew and quit falling down. Horizontal trees suck. And someone put the ground too low, and it makes leaning over trees to cut 'em up painful.

Sorry, running off here, just spent a week of vacation removing three years worth of dead trees and brush from the yard.

Rob

Husqvarna 262, 257 and a 2101...Got a small newish stihl which we won but it the biggest POS chainsaw i have ever used, unless the fuel is mixed by a virgin lass on the slopes of Mt Everest 2 minutes before you put it in the chainsaw it will not run....The husqvarnas will run on crude oil...

Stihl O26Pro w/24" bar
Makita DCS 540-21 [blue Dolmar] w/21"
Stihl 064 -Just rebuilt top-end w/28"and 32"
Sachs-Dolmar 153 w/28"

Rather than rebuilding the 064 I should of paid the difference and purchased a Dolmar PS-7900

I have my Fathers McCulloch that he cut wood with 25years ago. i still just put gas and bar oil in it and away we go. its a bit loud. but still cuts fine. They dont make them like they use to. everything is plastic now. and junk in my book.

Stihl 034 AV Super 28", 1984. Never let me down.
Jonsared 2054 turbo, given to me as frozen up. Threw away the chain break mechanism and started it up, handy little saw.
A couple of guys around here will never part with their Homelite "Big Blue".

Given energy prices, they may get more use soon, if it ever cools down enough.

Stihl 020T and Homelite XL2 for the real small stuff.
Stihl 026Pro for the small stuff.
Stihl MS390 for the medium stuff.
Stihl 066 for the big stuff.
Stihl 084 project saw (needs some love).
Stihl 090 for the really big stuff (actually, I use it as a display, but I have cut a log or three with it).

Andy

BTW if you are looking for a good, mid-size saw, cheap, go to your local Home Depot that has a rental dept. Ask if they have any Makita 6401's for sale. They should be $205. Same thing as a Dolmar 6400. Good mid-size saw that rips! Should come with a good bar and a NEW chain.

Stihl 020 top handle 2 of those
Stihl 026
Stihl 028 2 of those
Stihl 036
Stihl 038
Stihl 046

I used to cut and sell firewood and do a little tree work, then at some point I realized the price per cord had not changed in about 20 years, and my body had, it didn't seem to recover as well as it used to. Now I only cut and split enough for my own use. I guess I can probably get rid of some saws.

Pioneer P40 that my Grandfather bought in '72. My Dad passed it on to me, the only saw I've ever used my whole life. On the farm we heated with wood, I heat now 100% with wood, and only red oak. Keep at leat a two year reserve. It came with a 20" bar, Granddad put on a 18" when new and man this thing rips.

I have a Wards/Remmington that I had since new in 1973. It is has a 18in. bar with roller tip and a 4+Cubic inch motor. I don't use it as much as I did when we heated with wood, but it still starts and runs excellent I am on my third chain and second clutch drum.

I have an older Poulan Countervibe 3400. It's excellent. However the new Poulan's look, and feel like toys. If I had to buy new, I'd go with a Stihl or Husky.

Back