What's new
What's new

Stupid eBay question - responding to 'my messages'

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
If you have something for sale on eBay, and someone emails you a question via the eBay 'my messages' system, is there anyway to respond to them *more than once* if they have not responded back to you ?

It's maddening for instance, to have someone email you a question, and you can't get to the literature that contains the answer to said question for another day or two, but you can't email them to let them know that, because if you do, you can't respond later with the information unless they just happen to respond back first !!

Any way around this ridiculous problem ?

If from their message, you can get their username, pull up their feedback profile. Couple of ways to do that...I'll guess you can get there...

(edit)

Down & dirty way...Click this link...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZprocyonQ2dmachine

Then, in the url, replace procyonQ2dmachine with the username of the person questioning you.

When their page comes up, click on their feedback number.

You will have to be logged into ebay.

One of your options will be "contact member". Click it, write your message and send. You will have to look at the swirly mixed up anti-spam bot number and key that in for it to actually send.

Got it!

Mark

Dave, I don't know what's different about the way I am setup, but I seem to get a copy of the mesaage in my regular email in box, and that copy typically has the email address of the person. I can then contact them 'outside' ebay's system.

Not sure who Dave is, but you only get those copies when the sender has the good sense to unclick "hide my email adress" when he sends the message.

Unfortunately I'm getting alot of emails of late where the sender doesn't do that.

Don,

If you click the "send a copy to my e-mail" on your first reply, I'm fairly certain that you'll have your recipient's e-mail address in your mailbox. You can then follow-up outside of eBay's messages system. I tend to prefer sending e-mail rather than using "My Messages" so I normally use this technique.

--Larry

Hi Don,

You should receive an email through your normal ISP's email system, as well as the one in the ebay messaging system.

In your regular mail program, click on Reply and select the "Reply To" address. This usually, but not always, has the real email address of the sender rather than the ebay redirect address.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't see a problem. Just because you respond to a question doesn't mean that the original question message goes away. At least it doesn't for me... :confused:

Are you saying that when you go into 'my messages' and respond to a question, the original message is automatically deleted? If that's the case then I think there must be a configuration setting somewhere because I can respond, and then respond again, and then again, and then one more time just to make sure.

One thing that I HAVE noticed is that in 'my ebay' (NOTE: not 'my messages') the brand new unread messages are automatically displayed for your reading pleasure and once they are read they leave that page, but they aren't gone... You just have to go into 'my messages' to see them again. Is that maybe what's going on?

-Bruce

PS - Boy, I sure hope I'm not all wet with this one!! :D

TICK BOX TO HIDE EMAIL ADDRESS
Well Don you will be glad to know that ebay have now made to tick box unticked by default ....well at least on the UK one they have.

all the best...mark

Back