What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney Lathe

johnchabin

Aluminum
I'm looking at this old Pratt & Whitney:
lathe.jpg

It's in very good condition overall, but it looks like it's missing the compound. The toolpost that is supplied fits into the t-slots on the carriage. Could a different compound be fitted to this machine? Does anyone have any more information on this style Pratt & Whitney?

I can't seem to find much information anywhere... any help is appreciated. Sorry for the newbie post.

This is very early - before the common switch to a formal dove tailed cross slide as we know it. The machine never had a compound and could be as early as 1885 or even before. P&W began building machine tools in 1860.

Note the whole upper portion of the "saddle" is the cross slide, with small short ways way outboard and very limited travel.

John

What a beauty! That old girl is obviously related to my P&W. Looks like the taper attachment might be similar and the spindle nose is identical. Are you "looking" to buy her? Care to share any more details??

gawd thats purdy!

is that not what is known as a "rise and fall" saddle?

i see the small hand knob at the back of the slide, that is what makes me think it is a rise and fall.

sure nice looking in the pics

bob g

my 1895 14 in reed came sans compond...w/ elevating x/slide & xtra slide underneath for the taper attach., there was only 1 1/4 inch to c/line ...i built a compound w/ the dovetails on the side ( vertical & side by side ) ...bolts to the T slot ,can be flipped & works well .....dont see any reason u cant do the same if desired ..trouble is , by time i got it built , i figgered out how to cut decent thrds w/ a gooseneck holder , & using form tools at LO speed for angles ,etc. ....in other words ,learned to get by w/out a compound , so it now resides in a box most of the time .

best wishes'
docn8as

OT, but I just have to say that the large handle, the one that looks like it may be blue, is the same handle used to raise the P&W 18" jig borer tilting rotory table. I got to look at one of these every day for 10 plus years. No matter what you do to them you can't get rid of the dull-slightly rusted look on the unpainted part.

Didn't mean to hijack a lathe post.:)

John:

Regardless of my earlier post, I can now see that this is likely the 10" Toomaker's lathe from the teens/twenties. If you would like some scans of the original brochure, PM me your email address.

Tank:

P&W "handles" had a style, and that is what you are seeing. I never saw an 18" tilting rotab by them, but I have the 16" sitting on my 3B jig borer.

Here it is tilted up at 90°:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/Adjust True/DCP_0763.jpg

John Oder

There was an old P&W lathe on the Baltimore craigslist...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/1124798702.html

Text of ad:

I have an older engine lathe that i just bought but i realize now i dont have much to use it for. it does need a motor but everything else on it works. if you know anything about it come and take a look at it. i am willing to take a loss on my purchase so make me an offer. istill have it on a trailer so i can deliver it to you.

charles 410-963-511

Its about 3 miles from my house- drove around the place this morning but did not see the machine- likely to be inside the shop which is likely at that address. Didn't stop as I had a shopping list at the supermarket to take care of.

I have an email to John to find out a bit more about it- and see if there is sufficient interest to put in a bid for it (don't know yet if its still there).

Greg

I called the owner and set up a visit for Tuesday 9:15am. Will post measurements, pics and pass on any info about the lathe.

Cool because my brother and I were planning to go up to Fazzio's and get some bits & pieces- a nice machinery day.. :)

Greg

That is indeed a rise and fall cross slide.You can get your cutting tool on center by turning the handle at the rear of the cross slide.I think there may not have been a compound.

That is indeed a rise and fall cross slide.You can get your cutting tool on center by turning the handle at the rear of the cross slide.I think there may not have been a compound.

So perhaps I should stop searching for a compound?

Rumor has it this lathe was owner by this man:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Pratt_Warner

Inventor of the speedometer. I can't confirm, but it's a good story anyway...

John:

Regardless of my earlier post, I can now see that this is likely the 10" Toomaker's lathe from the teens/twenties. If you would like some scans of the original brochure, PM me your email address.

Tank:

P&W "handles" had a style, and that is what you are seeing. I never saw an 18" tilting rotab by them, but I have the 16" sitting on my 3B jig borer.

Here it is tilted up at 90°:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/Adjust True/DCP_0763.jpg

John Oder

John - thanks much for the brochure scans!

You are certainly welcome John. :)

There was once a Sam Bear in Pennsauken NJ that had one of these - since he is probably gone I suppose it is still around there somewhere.

Sam was a "foster-er" - like making me a free gear for for my 18 X 6 Hendey 35 years ago.

John Oder

Back