What's new
What's new

Gallmeyer-Livingston Surface Grinder Mod. 62

Dick Shuford

Aluminum
I just unloaded a Gallmeyer-Livingston 62 surface grinder in my shop. I have a pretty limited knowledge of grinding but have seen this machine mentioned on the forum a couple of years ago. My main interested is finding someone, hopefully with a manuual and knowledge of this machine. I will try to get some photos today and try to remember how to get them posted if anyones interested.

I have a mag chuck reasonable, 'm not far and it will give me a chance to visit a friend of mine in w.monroe tia batw

I have a mag chuck reasonable, 'm not far and it will give me a chance to visit a friend of mine in w.monroe tia batw

I'll probably be looking for a mag chuck. I sold the one I had. I'll be in touch. I have some new photos but will have to figure out how to post them after church. thanks

I wanted to try to insert a photo. If it don't work, pls let me know how. It is bad getting old. Can't remember nothing

gallmeyer1.jpg

J.carlson and I have pretty well beat this machine to death via personal emails. Jim has been very helpfull. What we have learned is that the table feed motor-transmission is bad broke. If anyone has a manual on this grinder, I'd sure appreciate a copy. A new table feed system will have to be designed. Ideas appreciated. There is a counter shaft out the back that can be used.

For some reason, this doesn't look like a watch!!!
Guess old habits are hard to break.

None of my manuals are going to help in the transmission end of it, but I will send them if you want to look, in case they copied the setup.
David from jax

I have a manual for this machine. It doesn't show parts unfortunately. You would think it would for $67.

It doesn't have some full scale blueprints of the workhead, universal grinding attachment, radius attachment, a wiring diagram, and how to get the spindle apart.

Isn't the table feed a Graham transmission?

Mine is missing some parts. No crossfeed screw and some of the linear ball bearing stuff.

What is that star knob in the center of the cross feed handwheel for?

If you ever have the cross feed screw out, tell me how it is made. There is some kind of slip/spline on it. And I would like to know the diameter. Although, I guess an inch would work in any case.

It is equivalent to a Cincinnati #2. Cincinnati had the table crossfeed, this one has the column move.

Mine is also missing that crank and gearbox on the right. That is where the fork lift hit it. There and the door.

Well, the mystery of identifying my internal grinding attachment is finally over for me. Shown in the middle of the picture on the table is exactly the attachment I bought a few years back off of ebay. It was brand new for $29 dollars
It has always bugged me as to who the manufacturer was.

I adapted it to my BROWN & SHARPE #13 universal tool & cutter grinder and works great. Thanks for posting the picture and I like the amount of cast iron in the base of your machine. No light weight.

Art,
The Model 62 Gallmeter has a Graham Transmission. Mine is shot I think. I am going to tear it apart and do some inspection. Atleast it will be in smaller pieces when I throw it toward the trash can.

The star in te middle of the cross feed wheel can be tightened and a micro adjustment can be used. The adjustment is behind the wheel.

I got these two from another board member and copied them for a friend. Not sure if I would do that again, since it took it's toll on the original.

1) Operation, maintence, repair parts attachments of the Brown and Sharp No. 13 Universal and tool grinding machine.

2) Operating Maintaince and parts manual for the #22 Universal Cutter and tool Grinder,
Covel Manufacturing Company

David from jax

Back