What's new
What's new

Cleaning Aluminum

mjk

Titanium
While someone brought up cleaning copper I have always wondered if there is a safe way to clean alumimum. I work with mostly 6061T6. Many of the parts are just deburred and require a slight wire wheel to blend. But cleaning the resultant "slime" from the part usually requires a pc of scotchbrite with soap/water. Hot water added to the process helps.
Any tips to pass on without getting into dangerous chemicals?

I use our waterless hand soap(no grit), I am drawing a blank on the name right now though. I usually scotch bright it first too, and the soap cleans it real good and leaves a nice shine.

10% Smart & Final brand "cleaner/degreaser" in water. Heated... in an ultrasonic tank if possible.

Comes out *sparkling* clean!

Aluminum responds well to an acidic cleaner. The acid removes a few molecules deep aluminum and thereby anything attached thereto. Since your cleaning job is relatively light, make sure the solution is weak. Alumiprep 33 from Henkel diluted about 6:1 should do the trick. Eldorado Chemical makes a lower cost version. A lot of small local chemical companies sell an aluminum brightener which will work fine, too once properly diluted.

Jimbo

Back