What's new
What's new

Rockland Lathe Horsepower?

Bosephos

Plastic
I have a Rockland gap bed engine lathe that is about 5 foot from centers. 13 feet in total length. The motor doesn't contain a sticker or plate with the horsepower on it. Anyone know. Provided is a few picture.

IMAG0113.jpg

Damn! Bad angle for scale and no info on swing. No info on Rockland lathes that's quick to find on the Web.

I wonder if some other make re-labeled under "Rockland." Is there a headstock transmission tucked that square opening in the headstock pedistal? I'm looking to see two shift levers but the picture just cuts them off if they were there.

It's real hard to say without a model number, more pictures with something to give them scale, and maybe a peek at the headstock gearing. I'm gonna guess at 16" swing and suggest 5 HP.

Hi, This looks like an older Summit 19". The older 19" Summit lathes had a 3" bore through the spindle and the newer ones have a 4" spindle. I have a 19" Summit that looks identical to your pictures. The Motor on mine is 7.5 HP. Manuals, etc. are available from Summit Machine Tools. Their phone number is:(800) 654-3262. Their web site is: http://www.summitmt.com
Hope this helps.

I got two. they are 7hp.

You mentioned you had two of the Summit lathes - I just bought a Sirco that is identical - need to swap the motor to single phase and need to get the speed right - I don't think the 3 phase motor in it is original and it looks a lot smaller than 7 HP but the name plate is missing. Previous owner changed from 575 volt to 220 volt 3 phase but may not have matched the motor specs.

Do you know what RPM the 7 HP motors are on your lathes ? Also what diameter pulleys do they have on the motors shaft and headstock ?

thanks Gary

You mentioned you had two of the Summit lathes - I just bought a Sirco that is identical - need to swap the motor to single phase and need to get the speed right - I don't think the 3 phase motor in it is original and it looks a lot smaller than 7 HP but the name plate is missing. Previous owner changed from 575 volt to 220 volt 3 phase but may not have matched the motor specs.

Do you know what RPM the 7 HP motors are on your lathes ? Also what diameter pulleys do they have on the motors shaft and headstock ?

thanks Gary

I actually did that swap, single phase motor. can tell torque is down but you can still work with it!!!
ill measure and check the rpms.

could only get to one of the motors. with 50hz!! is 1450rpms and pulley is 5.5" oh I wont be able to get to the input pulley, its in storage behind abunch of stuff.

Last edited:

Back