What's new
What's new

Another "whatsit"?..... tool question

JST

Diamond
Picked up in a bunch of stuff, a tool that is basically a cylindrical bar a but under a foot long.

It is a "Blue-point" product, which I associate with automotive.....rightly or wrongly.

At one end it is rounded.

At the other is a square like a tap has.

In teh middle is a section that has six sides, symmetrical hex, with a little bit of rounded surface at each corner.

The bar portion is 0.497 diameter or so, The hex section is 0.503 across the rounded points....

Only thing I can figure is an expander of some kind. Maybe for setting in a bearing sleeve or suchlike.

You could not get a hex centered item onto it, unless the item were split. So its not to drive anything solid...

Anyone know for sure?

J,
If the hex section is long enough, it could be the burnisher for resizing valve guides after they have been "knurled". I think Lisle made those sets for several suppliers(like Snap-On) and sold them under their own name as well. I never saw one that big; I have sets for 11/32" and 3/8".

The knurler looks like a threaded rod that has been flattened to produce a hex. It is supposed to roll threads into the guide but there is some swarf on the tool after use.

"Supposedly" tools with the Blue Point brand are purchased by Snap-On from outside sources. Snap-On puts their name on all(?) products made by them and their (growing list of) subsidiaries.

Sorry I got so long winded; may not even be what you have.

Rick

I bet that's it. It would do that, probably wouldn't scrape off any knurling...

Hex area is 3 or 4 inches long

The item looks like this

expandr.jpg

I guess I don't have a Snap-on catalog anymore...the question I have is does (did) Bluepoint really get into heavy diesel tooling, as .500 valve stems sure aren't automotive...

Hanz

Radial aircraft engine maybe? I know some of the big ones had 1/2" valve stems. I'll ask somebody tomorrow and see if that is a possibility.

Back