What's new
What's new

Analyze this SIP table on eBay

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7556142244&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT

How did this SIP table come to look this way ? I'm guessing it was heavy rusted and someone *sand blasted* (as opposed to bead blasting in a cabinet) most of the rust off. What do you think ?

Just a cringer as these tables are supposed to be like Moore rotary tables or SIP jig grinders...well taken care of....they are "supposed" to look like new no matter how old they are...and this one looks like it was left outside or near acid....or recently shipped to him from New Orleans :eek:

That is disgusting - it needs urgent rescuing and loving care!
Possibly a stiff fine for its brutal owner.

The paint looks like long term weathering/fading, but I can't imagine the rest of it would have survived outside for very long. Maybe lots of sunlight and a little rain now and again. Imagine the shock after a long life at 68*.

However, I know of something worse....and it is in my own family....

One of my cousins manufactures excavator buckets (in quantity), he needed a machine tool that would allow him to bore the pivot pin holes, large, but not too expensive....well how about a big Dixi jig borer. The table can be indexed...so you can bore one hole, index the table and bore the other.

That was about five years ago, I heard that the table got "gouged" when they were playing with it....I haven't been out to look at it... :(

Peter-
Of ALL things a JIG BORE?! What a WASTE of a great tool...so sad...couldn't he have used a magnetic drill and a cheap jig of some kind? Geez....

Don, this seller and Reliable are grabbing most of the stuff at the same auctions. Needless to say, Reliable bids a little higher and gets the nicer items. I kind of cringe when they call stuff in "good" condition.

Les

Neil,
It makes me cringe, but you have to admit....the Dixi probably didn't have a great future anyway, and it has a horizontal spindle, indexing table, large size, good price compared to any other machine tool of this size (this is NZ, we don't have that much to choose from!).
Are you saying a magnetic base drill could do the job of a Dixi - shame! :D

Asquith those pics are great, like the drive-up dumper tipping bar pivot being line bored, wonder if he shut the motor off? Would you like fries with that? :D

And 'Anchor Chain & Winch from oil rig getting more machined', it's like 'Boss, is this ok?' 'Naw, machine it some more.' hee-hee

Hanz

Back