What's new
What's new

Sanford Surface Grinder

mxboy349

Aluminum
I have a Sanford Surface grinder that I am in the process of stripping and painting. I cannot seem to find much info on the web about Sanfor Mfg. Anybody have any info, manuals, catalog?

DSC03663a.jpg

Here is the name plate.
DSC03665a.jpg

Thanks,
Eric

I have a Sanford grinder too. The son of the owner brought it to the place I was working about 5 years ago. He was about 70 years old at the time. He wanted us to convert it to some special purpose machine but we never found out what he had in mind, he just dropped it off and we never heard from him again. Maybe he died or just changed his mind. Anyway, my boss wanted to scrap it but I took it and I use it. Not a great machine but the price couldn't be beat! Mine has no serial number and was built on Pinewood St in Rahway, NJ, date unknown.

Eric,

I have one of the little bench model Sanford surface grinders. I did a search a couple of years ago and came up with a phone number for Sanford. I called several times and got an answering machine each time. I requested that they call back, but never got a reply. I have misplaced the telephone number. Someone told me that the company had been reduced to a basement operation that could supply limited information and parts. The miniature is well made with sturdy cast iron parts, and is quite heavy for it's size. Mine has an electrically powered magnetic chuck which has very little holding power. My understanding was that the original power supply contained in the grinder base supplied 400 volts, but mine seems to have been changed to just line AC. If anyone has any information about the chuck power requirements and the power supply, I would like to have any available information on the subject.

Jim

Eric,

I also have one of those small Sanfords, Serial No. SG 46-1005. The name plate on mine has the same street address as the one on yours. According to some old literature I have, their address is:
Sanford Manufacturing Co.
300 Cox Street
P.O. Box 318
Roselle, N.J. 07203

I have no idea if they're still around, but I have a spare parts price list dated 1964, if you want to have a good laugh at prices!

Jim, the power supply for the electromagnetic chuck on my grinder is in fact in the grinder base.

Bob

I have one of the bench top Sanfords with the electromagnetic chuck. The "power supply" for the chuck is simply a half wave rectifier being fed 110 V AC. While my chuck holds well enough, I think a full wave rectifier would improve the holding power. Easy enough to do, just have not taken the time to make the change.

Jim C.

Eric : I also have a Sanford, it looks just like yours . I had never heard of Sanford until i ran into this one. Wonder how many they built?I do have some sales literature, but it is on my pc at home in mich. I'am currently in Fla. until the 10 th or 11th of Jan.
One thing that seemed odd is that there are no table stops. Mine has a electric mag { fine line}that holds great.
Any body interested in what info i have let me know Chris
Ypsilanti Mich

Need someone to take some pictures of there small bench grinde. I am missing the motor, and the spindle. Mainly want to see what I sould all build for this one Doesn't look like it ever a electrically powered magnetic chuck. The only holes are in the base casting And I think it is for the motor.
David

Bob N:

The meaning of your question is unclear, as this size is commonly available from any industrial supply house, either local or mail-order.

Here are some local suppliers in my part of NJ:
(I realize that none of these places is all that close to Westmont.)

Barnett Tool Supply
745 Boulevard, Kenilworth, NJ 07033
(908) 245-3800

Nobel Equipment & Supply Co
1920 East Edgar Road, Linden, NJ 07036
(908) 925-1211

Brown Max L Industrial Hardware
68 Roosevelt Avenue, Carteret, NJ 07008
(732) 541-5196

(No interest in any of them, except as a satisfied customer.)

John Ruth

I'll jump in here. I also have a Sanford grinder. Mine is the 6X12 version that came with a B&S magnetic chuck. Mine appears to have been converted to single phase by swapping motors. I then replaced the 1/2 hp motor it came with with a heavy 3/4 hp single phase Delta motor thinking it might improve the finish. Finish is OK but not like a mirror. I find all kinds of uses for my surface grinder. Sure does make things flat! Great for when you want to make opposing surfaces perfectly parallel to each other. Very useful whenever I need to just take off a wee bit of material for fitting something. I also grind various single point tools and resharpen milling cutters on mine. I did have a sales bochure listing my 6X12 grinder at about $9,500 in the early 1990's. The company seems to have gone kaput as of the late 1990's. Judging by the price in the early 90's, I am guessing they couldn't compete with the imports.

Perk,

When Sanford went defunct, did any other firm buy their inventory, drawings, and/or rights? I have a Sanford in need of a dust guard. (I've had experience with another supposedly defunct firm where I found out that one of the former principles was still churning out small quantities of parts in his basement!!!!)

My Sanford is sngle phase 115V and appears to have always been so. Seems to me a well-balanced 3-phase motor would be the way to get the least vibration therefore the best finish.

What was Sanford's last known address? (Maybe a call to the Chamber of Commerce in that town would yield interesting info.)

John Ruth

Back