What's new
What's new

50/60 cycle motors.

Gene C

Plastic
I was tring to remember if a 50 hz/cycle motor can run one 60 HZ but not the other way around. I should know, but getting old.

Gene, the old maintenance guy.

Gene, you can run 60 cycle on 50 cycle without a problem but it will run slower. The other way you have a heat problem.
NOT CORRECT.

It IS the other way around....using a 50Hz motor on 60 is no problem, but it will run FASTER.

Running a 60 Hz motor at 50 Hz is equivalent to running at about 20% higher voltage. 10% is usually OK, but 20% is probably too much.

The winding inductance on a 60 Hz motor MAY not be enough and a considerably larger no-load current may flow. SOME 60 Hz motors might be OK, but in most cases, if it can run on 50, it is so labeled.

If the statement as-made WERE correct, a 50-60 Hz motor would not be possible....but it is.

When I lived in Jamaica all of the Island power was 50 cycle. We ran all of the 60 cycle equipment and motors on the 50 cycle at the house. In the plant we had 60 cycle and could not run the 50 cycle equipment on it. The clocks all ran slow.

Joe

We ran 60 cycle equipment on 50 cycles during a (very long) contingency operation in Europe. A new 5hp air compressor motor burned up pretty quick and the drill press was sounding sad. The air compressor motor had a hard time starting even though it had an operational unloader.

The hand held power tools seemed to do ok.

Based on my (limited) experience, I wouldn't recommend it.

Rick

The keyword for WJH's post just sunk in......Jamaica....not a place known for top-notch, full-voltage power.

If the line voltage is lower, you can run 60 on 50 fine, as long as you derate the motor power. About 20% lower voltage and you are good to go. Even 10% lower if you have a service factor over 1 can be OK.

On full voltage, it's generally a no-no.

Back