What's new
What's new

Can anyone identify these cutting tools?

LL

Cast Iron
I received a box of these cutting tools from a used equipment dealer I buy a lot of stuff from. I have never seen these before and am wondering if the intended use is in a lathe, mill or jig borer.
Some are carbide tipped, the rest are HSS,
all have been sharpened, some by hand. Maybe they are boring bars, the tapered ones for shallow work; the pointed ones have just a hint of an edge.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/farmpix/shop/boringtooling.jpg

Many thanks for an ID on this tooling.

LL

I have a Green D2 pantograph engraver that uses bits like that, with 1/4 inch and smaller shanks.

This type of cutter can be used for engraving in CNC machines, also. CNC can replace hand pantographs, but you still need cutters. That is why Deckel-style cutter grinders still get good prices, and why there are Chinese, Indian and English copies of them. My grinder is the English copy, made by G. Alexander.

Larry

Thanks for the great replies. I was hoping to find
a use for these bits other than the intended. Are they useful for milling interesting recesses and chamfering small holes in mill and lathe as opposed to doing same with standard endmills? Most of them seem to be carbide-tipped so I guess they would hold up well.

Back