What's new
What's new

Seeking information on this STANLEY GRINDING FIXTURE

Steve Stube

Hot Rolled
STANLEY GRINDING FIXTURE - looking for paperwork and a description of its use/function.

The ad stated: "By Carter Tools Model GF1 In original box Great finish and a fine old piece No tears to the box, just some scratches to the paper Very good condition" but it was sent to me in an envelope so the box got busted and the loose fit of the thimble screw thread and locking wheel would not be what I would call GOOD, oh well. Plus the spring on this same thimble screw is just a cut piece of spring (no finished ends)jambed on the end of the screw.

StanleyGrindingFixture.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you.

It's a router bit sharpener from back in the day when steel bits reigned supreme. The bit was chucked in the jig and the stone in the router collet.

Carter was an early router manufacturer. Not the first but the first big one. Stanley bought their line out sometime in the 30's-40's.

Dick

Thank you both.

Mike, interesting link, turns out I have a few more Carter tools I see there.

Dick, I think you are correct in your reply as to its function. I have a router bit sharpening jig from Sears I think but this is different (more substantial) and I was "hoping" this fixture had some greater utility. I think it will probably be another dust collector.

If anyone does have an instruction sheet for it that they would scan and send I have pieced the box together and would shelve the unit complete with instructions:))

Thank you both.

Mike, interesting link, turns out I have a few more Carter tools I see there.

Dick, I think you are correct in your reply as to its function. I have a router bit sharpening jig from Sears I think but this is different (more substantial) and I was "hoping" this fixture had some greater utility. I think it will probably be another dust collector.

If anyone does have an instruction sheet for it that they would scan and send I have pieced the box together and would shelve the unit complete with instructions:))

I just bought one of these fixtures at a thrift shop today and came with instruction sheet. If you still need the instruction sheet let me know and I'll scan it

Dan

I just bought one of these fixtures at a thrift shop today and came with instruction sheet. If you still need the instruction sheet let me know and I'll scan it

Dan

Hi Dan,
I am researching the Stanley GF-H1-A, which was in my late-Father's tool collection. It is in perfect condition, but lacks any instructions.

If you still have them, I would appreciate a scanned copy.

Thanks and best regards,
Richard

Stanley GF-H1-A Sharpener Jig

I hope this thread is still active, as I have this jig, which was in my late-Father's tool collection. This one is in perfect condition, but lacks instructions. If anyone still has a scanned copy, please advise.

Many thanks,
Richard

Dan

Hi Dan, I am reacting to your reply to Steve Stube back in 2010 or 13. He was looking for the instruction sheet for a Stanley / Carter router/drill bit Sharpening Jig (Stanley GF-H1-A). I found one of these in my Dad's tool collection and am trying to track down the instruction sheet. Please advise if you still have a copy...much appreciated.
Regards,
Richard

Back