What's new
What's new

The Rockford planer came yesterday!

Thanks to all who gave me information in my prevous posts. Thanks for even trying to tell me not to get it - it helped me think about this carefully.

I have gotten very little sleep in the last few days but I have been having so much fun! I stayed up most of the night last night cleaning the dirt and grime off the machine.

It has 12 1" leveling screws. Some of them would barely turn so I set up an air wrench to run the square head and removed all of them but one to clean oil and chase the threads. One is broken off and another is bent and one has dings in the threads from previous moving damage. I am going to have the cut the bottom off the bent one some how to get it out. I will then replace those bad ones so I can get to leveling this thing. I need to go get some 3/4" plates as well.

Treven.

The planer came from Oakland Ca. about 90 miles from me. There were two trucks - one for the 30k fork lift and one for the planer and a 7k fork lift. There were four guys moving it and they did a good job. I think I got a deal on the moving at $2,300 with diesel at $3 a gallon and a days work for 4 guys. I was very happy with Dunkle Cousins machinery movers and would recomend them to anyone. It weighs over 20,000 lbs so it was a serious moving project.

Treven.

Those tool holders are bigger than most of my lathes...... the machine looks in great condition....... just what are you going to use it for? or is it just to have the coolest big machine on the block.... which is OK too....

Treven - You can count on me coming down to pay a visit, just to meet you and sorta drool over this big hunk of iron. I promise to wipe it clean and oil any affected spots. I will probably tell my wife that we need to take a short vacation to Santa Cruz, cuz I have not been to the boardwalk in many years. You do have some boardwalk just in front of your shop, don't you? :D

Seriously, that is really a nice looking piece of iron. I am envious, but would have no room for it in any case. As soon as you have your confidence built up, my lathe ways are waiting. ;)

Wow

Does that thing bring back memories. When I was serving my apprenticeship we had one like that. It was 1966 and the machine was fairly new at the time. I ran it for 2 years planing various sub-plates for stretch form benders and wheelwell dies. That machine could really move some metal. With a properly sharpened tool you could get a nearly ground finish.I think ours was probably a little smaller but that was a long time ago and to many trips around the sun fades the memory some.

Good luck

Wayne

Those pics were the highlight of my day. Thanks! That thing looks like a real monster to try and move.

So how long till you're ready to have all of us send you our lathe beds to plane em flat? ;)

Chad

Looks great Treven! Glad you made the leap. Probably easier to get the machine UP far enough to get the screw out the bottom than it would be to cut bottom of screw off. On the other hand a good die grinder and lots of cutoff wheels will surprise you.

Thanks for sharing great photos!

John

Nice machine Treven. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

You can't go wrong using any of the Dunkle family. They have moved most of the machines in our shop. I do believe they have hydraulic oil running through their veins. They are all riggers and movers.

Les

Back