What's new
What's new

Air rifle target bearing material

J_R_Thiele

Stainless
I am going to be building some resettable targets for Air Rifle silhouette shooting. This will involve 40 targets, so cost and time bacomes a concern. The targets need to "fall" easily, and will be pivoting down around a stainless steel rod. I am thinking of having the pivot arm welded to to some thinwalled steel tubing, with that being lined with a low friction sleeve or flange bearing. Due to cost I am anticipating buying the bearing material and making my own bearings.

One option is mds filled nylon rod, pressed into the tubing, and then drilled out. Will the nylon drill to size? I have drilled some plastics and ended up with undersize holes.

Teflon tubing is available at greater expense- but the ID is noted to be undersized. If I were to press in teflon will it stay in place and will it then drill out to size?

I know I will not get the ideal finish or fit with a drill- but would prefer not to try and bore them all out.

Any suggestions appreciated.

You can purchase some pre-made rulon
bushings from mcmaster carr. This is teflon
loaded delrin, and it won't cold-flow
over time like pure teflon does.

Jim

This aint rocket science. Use poly tubing like that used in low pressure air and potable water. Snip it off in pieces and use clips to hold in in axial position. There will be excess clearance esthetically speaking but consider the cyclic rate of usage.

[ 04-27-2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Forrest Addy ]

Back