What's new
What's new

tapmatic taping head

imported_Brian_h

Aluminum
I got a used tapmatic taping head a while back ( it will take up to a 1/4" tap). I am wondering what do you do with the torque arm?

Do you need to fasten it to your machine somehow to keep it from rotating, or do you just hold it with your hand?

It seems like a bad idea to just hold it with your hand.

Thanks

Brian_H

Agree with DryCreek. Don't hold it your hand.

I've made a few of different adapters depending on whether or not I'm working in a vise or alongside it in a fixture.

The first one is basicaly built on a "stock stop" base with a vertical rod about 10" tall that bolts to the mill table.

Second one is just a vertical block of aluminum (3/4" x 3/4") about 6" tall with a hole through it near the bottom (standing up) that bolts to the back of the vise.

Third one is a "T" of sorts that I clamp in the vise (turn the T sideways) if I'm working in a fixture off to the side of the vise.

You'll want the arm of your tapping head to be able to swing a full 360 degrees (or thereabouts) so it can touch both the front and the back of your stop (clear of other obstructions)

The forward rotation (clock wise looking down the spindle) of your mill will keep the arm touching the front of your stop.

You'll simply be pulling down and lifting up on your quill handle as the tapping head auto reverses when you lift up on it (which you probably already knew)

Hope that makes sense!

Mark

Go to Tapmatic's website, they'll have the manual for your head in .pdf format. You'll see a couple ways of supporting the arm.

The stop arm can either contact a quill-mount or a table mount. The table-mount is really easy to make, mine is 1" rod, 14" tall with a t-foot that mounts to the table.

Yours can be shorter (mine is for a 90-X). Slickest way there is to tap two or three hundred holes. I'll average three holes per minute, 3/4"NC, through 3/4"HRS.

you need a pillar sticking up from the table about 1/2 inch dia 12inch tall,if the pillar is going to get in the way of what you are tapping,then extend the arm and move the pillar back.

Back