What's new
What's new

Why a power hacksaw ?

Dave J

Cast Iron
The earlier post got me thinking, what benefit is a power hacksaw ?
A lot of shops I have seen have a bandsaw and a power hacksaw. The last one I was in, I asked the owner, and he responded "I got it cheap". Am I missing something ? Do I need a power hacksaw, or will a bandsaw do everything.

Thanks
Dave J

I wouldn't worry about the power hacksaw, especially when there are so many "cheap and cheerful" bandsaws about. I've got a real cheap one (from China), cuts up to 4 1/2" OD pipe and have no complaints. Even the original blade is lasting, but I have a more expensive spare (better quality?) to replace it with. You probably need to decide whether you want a cooling system with it, or fit your own later.

Oh just one thing....in vertical mode, there isn't as much clearance between blade and frame as in a conventional vertical bandsaw, if you need that...but obviously not an issue when comparing to a hacksaw.

Regards,
Rod.

I think a power hacksaw is like a shaper, in that nobody really needs one but they are fun to watch stroking back and forth....maybe it subconsciously reminds us of some other pleasant activity...
wink.gif

Like any other machine in a shop, the power hacksaw has its place.

I have a Peerless that takes a 12 inch blade. It is used for cutting heavy sections of Stainless and high alloy steels.

The cutting speed of this machine is slow and the feed is heavy. The blade doesn't wear quickly even in the tough stuff.

Set the piece, turn the machine on and let it do the work. It is an aggressive cutter.

Modern bandsaw cut offs are great for ordinary work but nothing slugs it out on Heavy Metal like a power hacksaw.

The above doesn't apply to the half horsepower piece of junk that you really had better leave in the barn you found it in.

I imagine there's plenty of horizontal bandsaws, such as those make by Amada, that cut Heavy Metal more precisely and much faster than the best power hacksaw. But comparing 'bang for bucks' in used heavy band to used heavy hack in the small shop/non production envirnoment the hack would come out the winner I suppose, just because they can be had for so little money.

I think the appropriate question would be... why not? If you have almost enough room for one, and enough money if you don't eat for the next week, and if you have enough ammo to keep the "repo man" at bay for just a little while longer, then the question really should be...

WHY NOT???????

I have a 7" band saw that will cut everything I need (oxy-acet for the rest).

It was just a question that has puzzled me for some time.

As for the "why not"............... man, has that phrase gotten me in to trouble over the years. That's why I look like Fred Astair side stepping through my garage.

Thanks All !
Dave J

I've got an old, motorized, lineshaft 6 x 6" Racine hacksaw. Paid $50 for it.
It's simple and dependable.
All the workin's are big, slow moving, and on top. No sealed bearings or adjustments.
Blade changing to suit conditions is easy.
It's not pink but I expect it to keep going and going and...

I have a Hyd-Mech H-12 power band saw. It has the double vise and programmable feed system to cut a bar automatically +/-0.007 once it is set up. I got it used on an auction. It is fast, strong, and accurate. The blades are a little pricey, but what a time saver. I never timed it on a heavy cut, all I know is that it is impressively fast to me. A power hacksaw is great if you don't need that much speed.

First shop I worked in had a power hack saw with automatic feed. We ran some production, just stack the material in it, set the stop, and let het go. Worked great.
Paul

I have an old Craftsman hacksaw that uses standard hand hacksaw blades.It's nice to just replace the 12in. blade if it gets ahold of some hard steel. Never have the blade jump off the wheels,no guides to wear.If the blade breaks,it just shuts off. I too enjoy the sound.

Greatest thing about a power hacksaw is the cheapness. Big old power hacksaws aren't wanted anymore by industry because they are reportedly slow, thus they can be bought on the cheap. Thing they can do is slice off big bar stock very accurately. My old 6" Marvel will slice off slugs of 4" to within .005 parrellel.

The nice wide blade with big teeth is the ticket for sawing heavy stock. Been a while since I bought a blade, one on saw now is cut down from a 24" to 14". I've got a pile of new blades I picked up somewhere for a song. Even buying new blades is much cheaper than buying bandsaw blades.

Back