What's new
What's new

Gear strength

david routhier

Aluminum
How does one determine the size of gears to use in a new application?

I want to build a simple geartrain that just reverses direction of the input. IOW, two spur gears running together. I can figure out the horsepower in and the torque required but once I have that info, how do I use it to determine what size gears to use? What about adding shock loads to the equation?

Thank you for your time

if you can find a browning catalog, they seem to be very hard for me to find one lately, they have the engineering you are looking for.

perhaps a martin, and likely a boston gear catalog may have what you are looking for.

the browning book i used to have had all the charts, and calc's to figure hp, torque, rpm, type of lubrication used, and type of prime mover applied.

alot of excellent info that should allow you to figure most anything you would like.

as for shock loading, good luck! shock loading is a subjective thing, what kinds of shocks, how severe, at what rpm/torque, etc. basically you have to over engineer and see if it will sustain what you anticipate the shocks to be.

basically shock loads should be avoided if at all possible.

bob g

David,
Power transmission of spur gears, Machinery's Handbook.

Center distance? Ratio 1:1? will determine n.o.t.
& posible pitches.

Face width is dependant upon material of gears. Plastic, aluminum, brass, cast iron, steel, how hard?

Large plastic gears, small steel gears, smaller hardened steel gears.
Les H.

Back