What's new
What's new

Solution to wash 360 brass

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Can one of you gentlemen suggest some kind of cleaning solution to wash/clean 360 brass parts?
I have tried Simple green, PC10, dishwashing liquid and various other stuff, and the problem is that during drying, the parts get dark spots and the surface gets somewhat gritty.
I've also made the stupid mistake of putting them into the dishwasher < it'll be sometime before the wife forgives me for that one > with the hope that the extra heat will dry them faster, but the whole thing turned dull, gritty and just plain ugly.
Unfortunately tumbling is not an option as the surface req. is 16 or better, and there are some small holes that get completely caked if I use corncob or walnut shells.

Had job brazing some brass together a while back and its just looked awful, scrubbing didn't work, soap didn't work, the scotchbrite metal finishing wheels worked pretty well, but couldn't get into the corners. So I also had a quick passivate the day we were trying to clean these and just for fun, dipped a scrap part into the 40% nitric acid, it came out beautiful. The silver braze got a little black, but cleaned up real quick with little wire brush on a dremel. One of the pieces on this brazed assembly was a pin with a tolerance of one thou total, and it didn't change more than a tenth. This might not help you since my goal was to get rid of the discoloration, and make it look presentable, though it did look pretty nice.

Bob

I've got some really weak Oakite solution < maybe 2% max >, and it does make the surface really nice clean brass, unfortunately though it also has to be washed off and that's where the problem comes in with the dullness.

Kinda offbeat Idea... but the case tumblers,(for reoading) used with some treated corncob media.. makes brass shine like a new penny, & seems to leave a protective coating that prevents tarnishing...

Use to clean my brass in a gallon milk jug clothes detergent and vinegar and water put the lid on and gently shake, washed the insides of my brass quite well.

"""
washed the insides of my brass quite well.
"""

Well.... These are actually brass balls.
Soooo I guess I'll be washing my balls in a milk jug ;)
I'll give that a try.

Try cleaning by your favorite method, rinsing in water very thoroughly, and drying by a further rinse or two in alcohol. If instead you use acetone to dry, a little oil could be added to protect against oxidation - just a few drops in a cup of acetone.

- Mike -

And, of course, after whatever method you use to clean the brass... DON'T touch them.

The oils from your skin, being biological, will decompose and turn acidic. So your fingerprints will etch themselves into the brass and if you leave them on too long, permanently ruin any fine surface. * Where you touch will oxidize and re-stain the brass.

Besides all that, even if you handle them with kid gloves, simple exposure to the air will also discolor brass… the 21% oxygen in the air, or various pollutants, etc.

My guess is somewhere along the line a protective finish may have to be applied to help keep that “like gold” fine finish.

Good luck!

Stan

* Which is one of the reasons you don't "clean" lenses of good cameras with your finger... the anti-reflective coating will be etched by the rotting oils from your fingerprints.

Back