What's new
What's new

Jet zx series question

Sam

Plastic
I am considering buying a Jet ZX series lathe, and would like to hear opinions from people who own one or work with one. This is not the only lathe I'm looking into but due to price it may high on the list.

Other lathes of intrest:
Summit 16"
Tos sui40

Budget about $11,000 delivered

I am aware of the debate over buying forign vs. old US iron.

Thank you for your thoughts

I have a Jet ZX 18x60, and I like it a lot.
But, and its a big but, I got it brand new for $3500. That colors my opinion, I am sure. I doubt I would pay 11k for it.

Mine is a preproduction machine, the final production was just slightly different, so they couldnt sell it as new, gave it to the Jet dent and scratch liquidator guys instead. And somebody managed to sacrifice the sacrificial phenolic gear, so after paying $2500 for the lathe, I spent another grand on delrin gears.

Four years later, in support work for a fab shop, I have been happy with it- solidly built, accurate, nothing has gone wrong with it. I love the 3 1/8" spindle bore, its smooth and powerful, does everything I ask it to. But I dont do production on it, and my standards are pretty loose- I make press tooling, and ornamental stuff, but I dont do .0005 precision work. According to the test sheets that came with it, it will do it, but I cant say I have ever asked it to.
Quite a good $3500 lathe.

Not sure if it is worth the 11 grand though. Its definitely better than any other Jet I have seen, or any Grizzly. But that aint saying much. Jet has pretty decent parts and service, but at this price range, you are comparing to companies like Sharp and Acer, Victor, and Webb, not Harbor Freight or Grizz, and you pretty much expect they have parts in stock.

But for 11 grand, I would look at the other Taiwan brands- Victor and Acer, maybe Sharp and Kingston.
Also Tos, Lion, and Summit.
Nardini, yeah, what about Romi? do they import any big manual lathes?

What about good condition used Japanese? Mori Seiki, or the Webb Mori clones that are made in Korea? they are supposed to be really nice.

Thank you for your replies. I looked at Acra, Victor and Nardini. I also looked at All manner and make of used lathe.

Many older machines don't have a 3" spindle bore and much more often than not the bed widths are narrower than the Jet and very very often the jet out weighs them (save the American or Monarch). I'm not fighting for the Jet, but the specs look good. Are they built poorly in this price range? Bad quality control?

The Tos sui40 (not sn40)cought my eye. But the used ones I find look like they've been ridden hard and put away wet, and are still near $10,000.

Summit 16" is THE Lathe I'd like to own but now we're loking at $18,500 new. hard to find used, when you do they are really used.

I hear colchesters and Harrisons are nice but light.

What to do????? Well thanks for the replies

You can buy a TOS new in that size range for about $13K. Since you are already talking about $11K I would call that two grand well spent.

Check these out, they are just as good if not better than the Jet lathes. http://www.machinetoolonline.com/GMCGTLathes.html
With the large over 3" spindle bore. I have had great luck with them, sold so many over the years, and they have been good machines. I sell the Jet too, but the GMC is a better deal. Plus a special discount for PM Members. I can deal on the larger 16 inch and up GMC Machines a little for the PM board people, but not on the smaller ones though :confused:

Following Quality's link I find this:
"Automatic dick-out longitudinal carriage stop system"

Yes, I guess a carriage will stop if you toss a detective in front of it. Hope the horses don't step on the guy. :D

Stan Db

I am in the process of returning a Jet GH1440ZX due to too many problems. They look nice, but quality control is awfull. Gibs in cross slide look like the were cut on a sheer and the rough edges removed with a hammer. Cross slide shaft and knob out of round. Soft screws that were bent or stripped. Spindle bearings noisy. Looking to replace with a Summit.

Back