What's new
What's new

Anyone in/around Omaha NE?

Charles Marlowe

Plastic
Title pretty much says it all
- Charles

Now its starting to sound like old home week.

JR, I remember you mentioning once in a reply to my post that you'd worked in Grand Island for awhile.

Didn't know you were from Hastings, though. I spent the better part of the first 30 years of my life there.

Small world, eh?

Dick

Dick,

Dad still lives in Hastings, so I'm out there several times a year.

There used to be a lot of tool shops in the area. VM Tool in Alda, H&S in GI, Triad, Reese, then Cornhusker, Dramco, and Nelson. Most are gone.

I remember the first time I went into VM Tool. Von had maybe 8 or 10 Tree's. Beautiful shop. That was in the early '70s.

The thing that I miss most about Hastings is "Big G". Now, that's a hardware store!

JR

I'm origanially from the Omaha area. Born in Omaha , Raised in Plattsmouth. Scc Milford grad, moved to Columbus after that. VM tooling was a unique shop, Met the owner once. Triad is still in business and so is Dramco, aren't they? I know in the past 4 years quite a few shops around here have gone away. Mark

I was born in Hastings pretty much grew up in Scottsbluff and now I live in North Carolina. There is a Husker fan club here in Charlotte that meets for all the Husker games...

Born in Havelock (the Northeast corner of Lincoln), it once was a town by itself that built steam locomotives for Burlington Northern. I now work for the only Aerospace company in Nebraska. Its in the middle of a cornfield in a town called York.

Perk: Been in your plant one time for a SME tour, lots of cool cnc stuff you don't see anywhere else in Nebraska. Your right about being in the middle of a corn field, Columbus is the same way. Mark :cool:

I think of only one thing when I hear York and Havelock - prime rib!!!!!

I've traveled the world and the best prime rib is still in Nebraska. For you non-Huskers, it's Chances "R" in York and Misty's in Havelock (Lincoln).

BTW, my dad talks about when he went to UNL in the 30's. They could take the street car to Havelock for $.10 and watch them change trains.

JR

I'm 281 miles north, but I don't get into Omaha much anymore since gas prices went up. :D

Charles,

There is (or was?) a metalworking group in Omaha that met every other month till late last year. It was fairly active up till that time but seems to have gone into semi-permanent hiatus. I think it is in the same plight as hobby metalworking in general. At age 36 I was probably the youngest guy in attendance by several years.

Regarding the prime rib, the best around is at the Horshoe Inn in Deweese, NE. The secret is in the Au Jus. They only serve it one Sunday night a month. It's worth the trip.

Dick

My wife was born in Omaha, my dad was born in Hooper northwest of Omaha near Fremont. My wifes 99+ year old grandmother still lives in Omaha.

JRIowa: I've traveled the world and the best prime rib is still in Nebraska. For you non-Huskers, it's Chances "R" in York and Misty's in Havelock (Lincoln).

JR, There’s another place that has prime that’s even better, I just haven’t found it yet. Had some prime rib in Florida once, it certainly didn’t get my vote, as if they knew how to do that down there anyway.

Back