What's new
What's new

Supermax mill

Fountain Chuck

Plastic
Hi all, been a lurker for a while now, finally had a reason to post. I've been looking at a Supermax mill(YC-1-YS-T),Serial TG106157,1992 model with DRO and one servo power feed,and what looks like very little use for $2000.00. What do you think of this machine in comparison to an older Bridgeport that may need some work because of more use or age.I'd be stepping up from a Rong Fu 31, thanks,Charles

Hi Charles,

Other than not having a DRO that sounds equivelant to my "Samson" mill that I bought about 1982. If you can check to make sure the knee moves straight up and down and some stuff like that you'd probably be very happy with it, especially as you'd have a lot more capability than with the mill/drill.

It sounds like you are more interested at this time in making things than you are taking up machine refurbishment as a hobby.

My Samson measured out within B'port specs when I got it, and I certainly haven't come close to wearing it out (probably have barely broken it in).

You can buy a new Bridgeport from MSC for about $12,500, or $15K with a feed and DRO. A used B'port for the same money as the Supermax may have a lot more wear on it, and if the Supermax mill has less wear and is "tighter" you are likely to be able to do a little nicer work with it.

Get the Supermax if it seems like a reasonable deal and make stuff. If somewhere down the road you decide you need a nice Bridgeport you can always get one, but you'll be a lot more experienced then and have a better idea of what your needs are.

cheers,
Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Moore (edited 07-22-2004).]

It sounds like a good price to me if it's in very nice shape. I have a Supermax with a powerfeed and a DRO to sell. Paid $3700 for it in the late '80, wanted $2800 for it 6 months ago, found out things are even worse than that and will take $1800 for it now.

Thanks for the reply,It seems to be in nice shape, the head being quiet and all the scrapings still visable. All original luber, servo powerfeed and varible speed head

Mudflap, what year is yours and does it have varible speed?

Back