What's new
What's new

Tap Magic cutting fluid

AAA

Aluminum
Went to order some tap magic today, which is something I haven't done in a long long time. Seems there's now 3 different ones. "Tap Magic Pro Tap", "Tap Magic Aluminum" & "Tap Magic".

Don't have the old can, which ones the good stuff I had before? Been told that there's a new one that's not as good, which one is it?

thanks

Mike

Tap magic, or tapmatic,there is a new tapmatic,its a brown tapping oil,looks and smells like Rocol,use it today for tapping ss,seems ok

The really good stuff is no more. I believe it had 111 trichloroethane in it. Pro tap works with steels and aluminum. I think, but don't quote me, regular Tap Magic isn't for aluminum.

I think it was the trichloroethane formula that you couldn't use on aluminum (used to turn it black, if I remember). The "new" Tap Magic is supposed to be compatible with all metals, though I think they still make one especially for aluminum. Haven't heard of "Tap Magic Pro Tap" so far. I liked the old trichlor stuff -- no oily residue -- though it probably would've killed me eventually.

Paula

Accu-Lube is vastly superior to Tapmagic Aluminum anyway. I used to include a sample with each tapping machine we sold and had many converts.

Tap Magic has the cuter name though and thus will aways be popular with the HSM crowd, especially those that love WD-40, Simple Green and duct tape :rolleyes: ;)

Okay, so how long ago did the "good" Tap Magic stop shipping, and the new stuff start?

I have about 8 cans of Tap Magic I got from ENCO a few years ago when they had free shipping (and I didn't want to pay the extra hazard fee)...

Do I have the good stuff or the bad stuff?

Over the years we have had to match drill, by hand, heat treated titanium with a drill guide and an endmill. We started using Tap Magic Gold wich worked really well. When we ran out and ordered more our parts people ordered Tapmatic instead of Tap Magic. Big mistake the Tap Magic was far superior to the tapmatic. Anchor Lube for aluminum.

Has anyone used a product name SPRAY TAP ?
I've been using it for years.. I like it!!!
Can use it on any metal..
It taps S.S., Nickel, Monel. like tapping butter!!
Dosn't have a stinky smell like Tapmatic or Tap Magic..
Robbie

I had to go out to the cold garage floor and dig up a can. It is Tap Magic Protap. Must be the new stuff. It says it is good for all metals. I use it for tapping threads, but find kerosene better for basting the metal while cutting. I guess if I go up in flames some day, I will stop using kerosene!

A local hardware store carries several flavors of TapMagic, including one labled "original formula". This one does contain trichlor, according to the label. Cost is rediculous, something like $25 a can.
Cans of the new stuff are marked "contains no 1,1,1 trichloroethane".

our parts people ordered Tapmatic instead of Tap Magic.
We aquired two gallons of Tapmatic(bulk buyout), and had to use it for a bit after we ran out of Tap Magic. We had the aluminum and the steel variety of Tapmatic. Absolute pure garbage, I think it was vegetable oil, used gritty vegetable oil.
Something along the lines of the difference between Tobasco infused with sand and KY.

Okay, so how long ago did the "good" Tap Magic stop shipping, and the new stuff start?
I couldn't tell you, but the first can of tapmagic I ever saw was 4 1/2 years ago and it was rid of Tri????whatevers. So I would say its been a while.

... especially those that love WD-40, Simple Green and duct tape
Tread softly when blaspheming the Lords Most High, lest you be slathered with simple green, wrapped in duct tape, and rolled down a hill coated with WD-40 :eek:

I've been using Spray Tap HB-1 for SS and 7075 aluminum, and like it a lot.
The label says it's good for everything except heat-treated Neutronium :D

Tobasco infused with sand and KY
Isn't that a Doc Johnson product :confused: :eek:
:D

The other day I tried some Relton A-9 for tapping 3/8 NPT in 6061 and it made a noticeable improvement in both finish and in reduced effort to turn the tap vs the LPS/Tapmatic "Gold #1" works on everything cutting fluid I used on the first part.

cheers,
Michael

Thanks guys, when it comes to tapping I reckon D. Thomas' the man, so I just ordered some ACCU-LUBE paste lubricant.

Thanks

Mike

Back