What's new
What's new

Movie: The Machinist

Dirt Rider 3006

Aluminum
The Machinist

Looks like a psycho drama. About a nutcase who hasn't slept in a year and gets a co-worker nearly killed (armed ripped off). I have a feeling there is not too much discussion about speeds and feeds or even what grade of carbide is better than another in various materials..LOL...

The title is cool. Movie is probably Lame

My best friend never sleeps. Call anytime, maybe 3am or something, and he's up. Broke down once at 4AM, walked to his house, and he was watching TV. Gave me a ride back to the house. He worked for us for a while, but never made a machinist. Maybe it's a good thing he didn't!

i think everyone knows, that more than 4 days without sleep will lead to madness... and more than 10 days, the damage could be permenate...

a year? he's nuttier than a deomcrat convetion in san francisco

jeffe

Here's a more complete site and different trailer. This one shows a gear shaper, surface grinder and multi head drill press. Looks like sleepless boy is in an old time shop...maybe there's a Haas VMC hidden away somewhere in there...

Opens Oct 22....shall I persue block purchases for Practical Machinist members ? :D

www.machinistmovie.com/index2.asp

Just 6 more days folks....I can almost smell the coolant and popcorn...

Last thing I care to see is someone being slowly dragged into a moveing machine, even in a movie it would give me the willies...Still it is an interesting idea for a film, just not my cup of tea.

Charles

Don,

I will let you know if its any good when it comes out on video.

:D

I am not going to waste 10 bucks for a movie ticket on that one.
Sounds like it should be in video stores in about 2 weeks. Or maybe this will be direct to late nite TV and skip the video thing.

I'd rather spend my time and cash on the Incredibles, can't wait till Nov 5th.

Mark

10 bucks, yikes...movies only 6 or 7 bucks here. Yeah it's pretty iffy, maybe I should wait for Ebert and Roeper to review it

I saw the trailer while waiting to see The Motorcycle Diaries, which I would recommend by the way. It doesn't get better than a adventurous trip up south america with a aspiring communist

The Machinist looked interesting. From the brief footage I saw the machining did not suffer from the typical artistic license. Unlike films like Flashdance with all the dramatic welding arcs and sparks but never the possibility of a real bead.

Well, if it comes here I'll probably go see it just to critique the "shop" shots if nothing else. Previews indicate the usual Hollywood vision of a dirty greasy old machines situation however. If I was directing, those boys would have some Mori Seiki turning centers running in the background while they were doing some manual milling on 1970's Cincinnati Milacron mills. A few CNC crashes and lathe chuck keys flying thru the roof would add to the excitement and mystery.

Unlike films like Flashdance with all the dramatic welding arcs and sparks but never the possibility of a real bead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
who was that girl in Flashdance, oooooooooohhhhh! ;)

Yep, Jennifer Beals. I'll never forget how I was in love with that little body she had. I will also never forget how pale and shakey I felt when I found out a man was her stand in for all that fancy dancing she did!
Michael

Back