What's new
What's new

Kearney Trecker dividing head manual

Johnny V

Cast Iron
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone out there might have a manual for the Kearney-Trecker 10" dividing head, and if so could you post it in the manuals forum? If you don't have it scanned in, I could scan it and post it for you. Here is a picture from E bay

Thanks
Johnny V

That size K&T head is very nice. I've used mine maybe 10 times in the last 10 years. Much more rigid than the B&S style with the dovetail type angle adjustment. Besides the standard index plates, K&T also made a series of high number plates, which I also got with mine. All I need are the conventional lead gears, got the box, to complete the set up for spiral milling.
The only parts sheet I've seen, and it's not much, is included in the machine manual.
Like John says, it's a 40:1, so MHB will have the charts.
Harry

SIR,
i have that same dividing head, and
have used it many times. i would like
to have a manual also, as i have no
idea how to use the crank on the back
of the head. would like to know if this
can be used for universal dividing?
according to the ratio,(40/1) 50 holes
is the max.
any help appreciated.
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

:D Good thing you have me out here :D

First, if it don't have the round housing sticking up on top, it isn't the 40:1 version, and none of the following will apply :cool:

If it don't have at least the three plates with all the holes, you can forget about using it to make all the divisions the spec sheet below says it will - until you replace the missing plates.

If you don't have a Machinery's Handbook, you will have to get yourself one. This "MHB" will discuss 40 to 1 heads equipped with three plates, and will also tell you how to set the stop/start arms and generally how to use the crank. This is plain indexing. When you know absolutely everything about plain indexing, you can then worry about differential indexing :D

Here are some scans from the 1939 K&T catalog. I'll bet this is as close as you will ever get to a manual ;) None of this is magic or hard, but you will have to read and understand the little that is available.
KTHDH01.jpg

KTHDH02.jpg

John

JOHNODER,
are there more than three index
plates for this dividing head?
i have three, and if there are
more available i sure would like
to know where i can find these.
also i am not able to read the small
print on your post. is there someplace
i can bring this up, and enlarge it so
i would be able to read it?
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

I have a KT 2CH and have often wondered if the drive parts were ever available to drive the dividing head off the end of the table screw. There is a gear on the end of the lead screw that is for this purpose but it would take another end plate with a mating gear and spine drive. I have never seen one in the used market. Are they common?

I've been looking on ebay for 6 years and have never seen a set of gears for the lead attachments, except once and got nailed by an Al Babin crony.
The machine manuals have the barest of parts for the dividing head itself, but complete lists for the gears, conventional lead attachments and low lead attachments.
Harry

I just acquired one of these (model H, 10"). If there is no such thing as a manual (other than a table of leads and divisions), does anyone know how to adjust it? This one has about 2-3 degrees of play (when rotating the handle forwards and backwards, before the spindle moves). It feels like worm adjustment, not spur gear adjustment, is what is needed.

-Dave

Dave, if by "handle" you are referring to the one with the index pin, the slop may be due to wear in the worm/worm wheel fit up. K&T built your Model H with a two piece worm for taking this up, but I don't know how far apart it has to be to do this.

John Oder

Back