What's new

TIG Welding Gas Bottle Sizes

• Thread starter jfsmith
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 21,587
J

jfsmith

I am getting a TIG welder, and I know that you need Argon as a part of the process. what sizes do the Argon Vessels come in?

Jerry

All different sizes...pretty much anything you want.

You can buy bottles that range from a small throw it in the trunk of your car to the 300 series cylinder (what I would recommend). There's nothing I hate worse than trying to get all the bottles loaded into the car and going to the welding supply store. I dont have a truck, so it's a real PITA.

300 series is a good size in my opinion...if you aren't doing a lot of welding, it should last quite a while.

-Jacob

I would get a 122 ft3, unless you have a service to deliver them. These are about 8" round, 5' tall and about all one person can lift in a truck. Costs about 50 bucks to fill.

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of TIG welding, you should check with the gas supplier and see what size bottles they will sell you. I think mine's roughly in the 200-220 cf size range, and the bottle itself cost about $150. If you don't buy the bottle, the demurrage (rent) on the cylinder will cost you more in the long run than the contents, by a good margin. When shopping to buy bottles, what you really want is a "lifetime lease" or something similar. That way, they exchange bottles with you just as if you were renting them, and they take care of the required hydrostatic testing. The situation where you own a specific bottle and can only leave that bottle to be refilled is not the way to go, as its inconvenient and leaves you having to foot the bill for periodic testing.

The big argon bottles around here are 250cf.
I have 3 that size, plus a smaller one around 150cf, as we run two tig welders most days, and that way we can keep working while someone is driving over to get refills. Used to be I had one bottle per welder, but as I got employees and farther away from the welding supply, I found having a backup was very handy. Tig machines go thru a lot of argon- its just the nature of the beast, as even with a sophisticated preflow and postflow timer, the gas is flowing pretty much the whole time you are welding, and you need pretty fair flow or else your welds dont come out right.
Gas tank policies vary wildly around the US- in some areas, like the west coast, you can own your own tanks, but in other areas you MUST lease. The leases are usually a big ripoff, but some places you have no choice. Where I live, I own virtual tanks- that is, I own the idea of a tank, but the actual tank gets traded in for a full, "customer owned" tank every time I go in. This is the best possible system, as far as I am concerned, as I never have to worry about hydro inspections or paying for testing or new tanks. If my tank is empty, it becomes their problem, and I always get a new one.

I own virtual tanks- that is, I own the idea of a tank, but the actual tank gets traded in for a full, "customer owned" tank every time I go in.
That's exactly what I have here from the supplier I deal with. Within the same town there's another supplier who will only do a 5 year lease which costs more than I paid for the bottles, and another one who will sell them but then only refill those specific bottles for you. It definitely pays to check the terms closely and to shop around.

The supplier we use has certain size bottles that are only customer owned, and others that are only company owned, so when Billy Badbead shows up with some company owned tank he stole from a construction site, wanting to exchange "his" tank, he's in for a real surprise. The separate tanks leave no gray area for arguing about who owns what.

I own all my own tanks. I have even changed to a different welding supply from the one where I first got the tanks without any major problems. I would get a large argon cylinder. They do go down fast.

I have some old oxygen tanks that someone gave me. Little did I know that they weren't legit. They are stamped with someone elses stamp, a company that is recently out of business...so, I have two large oxygen tanks that would most likely pass inspection, but are worthless.

Sucks.

If you buy or do a lifetime lease, I recommend finding someone who gives you unmarked bottles. That way if you move, the bottles go with you.

I bought a bottle where I get my stuff filled, I can take them anywhere...at other suppliers I have to get them tested the first time, after they have their sticker on them they'll take them back and exchange for gas cost only. The one place figures in occasional testing into the cost of the gas I think. Pretty big price difference.

-Jacob
-Jacob

Mike,

What do you call large? I hate buying gas bottle, then find out that I run thru them real quick.

Jerry

I have some old oxygen tanks that someone gave me. Little did I know that they weren't legit. They are stamped with someone elses stamp, a company that is recently out of business...so, I have two large oxygen tanks that would most likely pass inspection, but are worthless.
sounds like the start of a nice windchime, i made one outa 4 old fire extinguishers, them high pressure tanks have a nice ring to em

Yah, the guy I got them from had so many of them that he started cutting the bottoms off and hanging them from trees. At 400 yards, they make a nice ring when you hit them with a rifle.

Actually this discussion brings up an interesting point for me.

I, like many others, move every few years. When I move, I like to bring my tools with me...including my tanks.

So, what arraignment is best for someone who moves to different areas of the country?

TMT

Jerry, I think it is called a 300 cubic foot. I always suck at getting the sizes right. I would go one size smaller if your back is not in great shape.

I have moved my tanks across the border into Canada, but getting them refilled may be a problem. Check with where your going and what dealers handle there.

THese tanks went across the border in the trunk of my rental car.

Jerry

[ 01-09-2005, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Jerry Smith ]

I'd have to check what size mine is (can't remember) but it is what my dealer calls a "double fill tank" Thing lasts for a long time. I believe he said it was filled to 4200 psi...about double...therefore the name. This is a Praxair outlet. I asked Liquide Air about these and was stonewalled. They hadn't heard of them. They have a special HD valve setup with a built in pressure guage.
Russ

Jerry...I just called my dealer. The tanks I use are 351 cubic feet and are filled to 4500 psi (not 4200). Filling cost up here is ugly but the bottles last a long time...still ALWAYS run out on the weekend when you really need it...lol!
Russ

Back