What's new
What's new

1 AB in machine classifieds

rowdyw

Aluminum
Hello all. I'm very interested in a W&S 1AB that is posted for sale in the machines for sale section of this website. Johnston has it listed. It looks to me like a very clean machine and would make a great upgrade to my turret lathe. Would someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy it? I know next to nothing about automatics and I really don't know what to look for. It's also a long ways to OH to go look at. By the way, I'm CNC illiterate and my business isn't ready for the investment yet, so please don't use CNC as a reason not to buy an automatic. Also, there seem to be plenty of cheaper machines to be had but I'm scared to inherit someone else's headache. I have enough of my own.Thanks

The Warner & Swasey AB and AC are very good machines, I happen to like the 1 AB or AC the best of the lot.

Gahr Machinery in Cleveland has parts and tooling.

You really want the operator's manual and tooling catalog so that you get an idea of the proceedures of running and set up.

The power feed and rapid traverse transmissions and clutches are separate units and can be taken out and repaired or rebuilt without taking the entire machine down. There are or at least usta be shops that specialized in the re working of these units. Gahr may still do that.

Read as much as you can find on the machines so that you know what you are getting into.

Nowadays, CNC is a knee-jerk reaction. It doesn't have to be that way.

The AB's and AC's were once the part of the might of American industry. They are powerful, productive and dependable. Their set up is rather simple and they don't require much diddling with once the job is under way.

You don't need no Prima-Donna programmer and when the machine gets broke, it can be fixed without a Congressional Appropriation of funds and your having to quarter a tech who comes in from a country far away.

There are ABC models that can convert from bar to chucking work.

One characteristic of the chuckers is the ability to change chucking pressures while running. High holding power for roughing and low holding power for finishing. You can manually set either holding power.

The AB and AC machines are practically identical except that the AB's have the bar feed and the hydraulic cut off station.

Majot parts and a lot of tooling are commom.

I sure wish you lived in Cleveland and could go look at this thing for me! I've been looking at them for awhile and this looks like a good machine. So far, the cheapest quote on freight has been in the $4K range. Does anyone know how I could find better rates? I've thought about flying out and renting a flatbed truck and hauling it back but no luck so far. JimK if you've never been to NM, now would be the time to visit and spend a few days showing me how to run this thing! I'll buy the beer. Thanks for your input.

I thought Bayou La Battre had two 't's in it: does it not?

I visited your town in about 1991 and liked it. I imagine the recent storms haven't done you any good.

Northernsinger

Back