What's new
What's new

Propane parts hauler

rich p

Cast Iron
Were I work, we have to haul parts from building to building. We currently use coverted golf carts with utility boxes mounted on back. I had suggested a utility vehicle that would run on propane because thay need to run them indoors. Any ideas? Was just wondering what other company's are running.

What's wrong with the golf carts ?..i.e. why the desire to get away from battery power, which is, in spite of the expense of batteries, still the cleanest and least expensive in the long run.

One of my customers uses a few Kawasaki Mules, they are propane. Perhaps I should say pro-PAIN, these things have air cooled engines, so the propane system is a vapor only system. It has no converter unit. It needs special propane tanks, they don't run well when its cold out. They also have purpose built trailers, that can hook to each other and to a fork lift. Looks like a centipede going along, these work quite well.

What wrong with golf carts?
Nothing really, they just cant hold much over 750lb. If your outdoors a John Deere Gator is a great machine for the larger loads. For light loads the battery golf cart is king

One of these and a small trailer ? I think I'd feel like a character in Toy Story while driving it...

forkbrochure4.jpg

Everything in our plant is electric except for a propane powered floor sweeper and a 40k Hoist forklift.

If the golf cart is low on payload...possibly the time is right to go with a trailer...same thing as you'd do with your car or truck on the "big roads"

"Looks like a centipede going along"

I think the original motivation is the baggage carts seen on the tarmac at any major airport.

That clark is WAY cool. When I was 15 I worked in a boat yard, years ago they did indoor storage. The boat would be place on wooden cradel and skated into place. They had a very similar clark as shown. With a low gear and a clutch it would do wheelies. If you got good with it you could get a good wheel stand out of it.

Same as Matt
There are a couple of places I know that use these
350RTT_12.jpg

12,000 lb towing capacity!

There are quite a few of these out there
tt1.jpg

Our maintenance crew has about a dozen of these
426.jpg

Most of the guys have a drawbar on their toolbox so they can just hook up and go.
JR

The reason for getting away from golf carts is the parts we make are light but bulkey. You can only fit one or two boxes per trip. If I fab a bigger utility box, it will hang way too far off the back. As is the box is located behind the rear axle. Any further and it will affect steering. The reason I suggest propane, is we have several forklifts, and have no problems indoors with them, plus they have plenty of power. Another plus, is when the battery's go dead, you need time to recharge. With propane, new tank, and your good to go. I am just curious what you guys have to say. I love learning what other people are doing, thats why this site is so great.

Re batteries, unlike electric forklifts where you can extract the whole battery and replace a battery like a propane tank (allbeit with special spreader bar and crane), I suppose a golf cart is problematic in that regard due to eight seperate 6 volt batteries.

So, you get the best 6 volt batteries money can buy, and get "fast charger" and/or an extra golf cart so one is always on the charger ready for action.

Back