What's new
What's new

v-groove

JR in TX

Aluminum
I want to cut a v groove--like in a v block-- in a CRS flat. What is the best way to do this with a mill? Set the workpiece at an angle in an angle vise and use an end mill?

Or, if you don't have an angle vice, then you can use couple of v-blocks to hold the work in an angle and then endmill. I hope you're not trying to make v-blocks, since the method I described won't work quite well then
biggrin.gif

Albert

Locating is difficult if you mill with the block at a sideways angle. If you step mill the groove (vise in normal position, using normal mills) you can then cut the 'V' with a center drill used as an endmill. (slow feed, light cut, cut the clearance slot at the bottom before attempting this in HRS.) Chamfer mills are the most direct route, but many don't come to much of a point.
Good Luck! GsT

easy to make ....O-1 ...turn to 90 deg.point,... file /mill the V down to 1/2 diameter ,like D bit, ( or file it flat from both sides & file clearance on both sides, like a spade drill )...harden at 1475(color of cooked carrots in subdued lite) ...draw at 375 for hour in stove & let cool!!!......now its both cheap & easy to do !!!!
best wishes
docn8as

P S ..run at 1/2 H.S. steel sfm

Back