Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    Was given this vice after it was found in an old garage, no name or stamp apart from a 22 on the inside. Anyone know what make it could be?

That's a beauty- interesting slide. Should lend itself to repair or replacement more so than most.

Any idea of the function of the bolt in the fixed jaw that's pointed at the screw?

Neil

3. Likes AFG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the 6" combination vise I picked up a little over two years ago. I had seen an ad on the local Craiglist for a machine shop going out of business and listing various cutting and measuring tools for sale. I drove up to Fitzwilliam NH (a border town) and found that it was Anchor Industries. A 2400 sq ft shop and they produced a variety of vises and other tools. The bench vises appeared to be their mainstay product. The then 84 yr old owner was there, and Mr. Ralph Niemela explained how no one in the family seemed to be able to keep it going as the bulk of his sales were to the General Services Administration. That had moved to lower bidders with offshore product.

This No. 0110 was the largest he made, though one had longer opening, this was the biggest with the pipe jaw inserts. The sales sheet (which he signed for me) says the throat depth is 6-3/4" and opens to 8/-1/2", but I found it to be closer to 7" depth and 9-1/2" opening. It weighs 175 pounds, the handle is 1" stock, the ends pinned onto the handle are 1-1/4" and it passes through a 3" screw end. The screw is 1-1/8-5ACME rolled threads.

The only modification I've made was to take it apart, mount the main solid jaw casting on my milling machine and clean mill the area behind the jaw in case I need to flatten a piece.
    Last edited by PixMan; 09-12-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    That's a beauty- interesting slide. Should lend itself to repair or replacement more so than most.

Any idea of the function of the bolt in the fixed jaw that's pointed at the screw?

Neil
    Its pretty much a grub screw to hold a 6"threaded brass insert in place. You can see the end of the insert just about at the right of the fixed jaw.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its pretty much a grub screw to hold a 6"threaded brass insert in place. You can see the end of the insert just about at the right of the fixed jaw.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are a few of my collection. I like the restoration. Some cool stuff up my way. best.jpg20150914_082151_resized.jpg20150514_122826.jpg2014-12-16-09.42.38.jpgathol-626.jpg

8. Likes AFG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of keepers there Joe. I especially appreciate the Athol 626 and the Emmert machinist vise. Ed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by joe.striper View Post
    Here are a few of my collection. I like the restoration. Some cool stuff up my way. best.jpg20150914_082151_resized.jpg20150514_122826.jpg2014-12-16-09.42.38.jpgathol-626.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Crusher View Post
    A couple of keepers there Joe. I especially appreciate the Athol 626 and the Emmert machinist vise. Ed.

Very nice job

Looks like Light blue Hammerite on the rotary table and Craftsman/Reed vise, one my very favorite colors and Dark Blue version on the Chas Parker.

I would love to have that Emmerit vise.

Here are some of mine:

Hammerite Lt. Blue Paint test on a cheap Wilton:

Raw:

Another lt. blue Hammerite:

Beautiful patina:

Multiple of Athols

11. Likes AFG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With your hand in the pic, I'm getting an idea of the size of that vise. That is large!

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The vise is love is called a "Yankee"vise on this side of the pond.Sure you know them but you guys will call them by some other name they obviously originate for America with a nick name like it has-its a rough jaw vice that the near jaw swivels to be able to grip irregular shaped work,often castings but you can use them for anything if I could only have one vice this would be the one,make a thin pair of plates to protect the serated jaws from marking smooth jobs-the spring loaded jaws pull the jobs down-ideal what do you want another vise for-thanks for inventing it

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love looking at Vises on the net myself. I'm a fan of the Parker vise, I have 2 now. But when I seen this one I just had to buy it # 956A. I have never heard of an A model, or never seen one this new. I researched that they were built up to 1959 but this one looks a lot newer than that, also what was the original colour? This one sure looks like it's the original colour. Anyone else seen one like this? I'll try and post a pic. Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Just bought this Parker Meriden vise No 6, Its 250 lbs and has 8" jaws. I have tried searching for some more info on this particular vise but have come up empty handed. 12308570_995931570448666_4874734231133986526_n.jpg12341328_995931540448669_1719536482400188799_n.jpg

16. Likes rustytool, AFG liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit of a thread dig, but showing my love for vices.
    First is an old Peter Wright vice I picked up recently

Now a little vice that I bought for my Myford ML7 lathe, it has a swivel piece that sits on the moving jaw, but it was missing when I bought it, so I will make something up.

18. Likes AFG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an old Columbian vise. I can't find the number and just spent the last two hours searching the internet where, "you can find anything" It has a swivel base and the T slot jaw inserts. The inserts are worn and I'd like to replace them or find out what a set would cost. Another option would make a set myself but I am not sure about how hard they should be. I like having this vise with the serrations so I don't want to mess around with making a set out of aluminum.
    Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A little more information, I found the model #. It's a 605 M2.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
    If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could say I have a few vises (some would say vices), but this was the first one I restored...6" Wilton that weighs something like 125lbs.

It got me hooked on restoring them and I enjoy the process more than actually having them, so I kind of buy one, restore it, sell it, find another and repeat. At least this hobby doesn't cost me anything since I can usually sell them for a bit more than I have into them.

22. Likes challenger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3 Axis Milling / Drill Press vise. 3.75" wide jaws. This one is marked "National, Production Tool Supply Co, Warren, Michigan , Made in Japan".
    It was recently dissembled and cleaned and it's working good. In the assembled photos, the vise is set at 20 degrees on all axis

vise01.jpgvise02.jpgvise03.jpg

24. Likes challenger liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello all I'm new on here but not to how forums work. I have just bought a vise from a friend that was letting it go. I told him he should keep it but if he was selling it I wanted first dibs. I believe it's thee vise everyone tries to find. What do you think of my Parker 978!!!

img_20170205_172639322.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You'll love it. I have a 956. Wouldn't sell it for anything.

Payson.

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeThinking View Post
    Hello all I'm new on here but not to how forums work. I have just bought a vise from a friend that was letting it go. I told him he should keep it but if he was selling it I wanted first dibs. I believe it's thee vise everyone tries to find. What do you think of my Parker 978!!!

img_20170205_172639322.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ID a Gray "Made in USA" Clamp-on 3" Hobby Vise?

Does anyone have more information on this 3" clamp-on hobby vise? I made a composite of 4 images to show it from several vantage points.

3" Hobby Vise - Made in USA - Album on Imgur

The only attribution is "Made in USA." I believe it may have belonged to a late neighbor's uncle (1893 - 1979.) I ask mostly because I'm trying to put a date on it.

Some at Garage Journal suggest it looks like a red Craftsman they've seen.

thanks,
    baumgrenze
    Last edited by baumgrenze; 07-03-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Mistake in Title