What's new
What's new

Way oil for Harig 618 grinder

Mr B

Hot Rolled
Checking out my Harig before applying some power to it.I plan on using Vactra #2.

Any Harig owners using some other way oil or the recommended Harig way oil?

Thanks!

209269.jpg

Vactra 2 has a viscocity of about 70 ISO while the 150-225 SUS is thinner than SAE 10 wt.

Vactra 2 is going to be too thick for the pump. (the pump, if like ours at school, is just a coolant pump)

Might want to chech with a local oil dealer, for something a bit thinner.

Harig told me to use only their way oil and nothing else. Their way oil does not turn to sludge as quickly as other way oil.

I have ran Harig grinders for 25 years and have a 6 x 12 at home. They are not kidding obout the sludge build up particulary when coolant is used. I have done oil changes on Harig's where the oil was dipped out by hand. Like handling jellow. Needless to say the slude was not being pumped either. Also check the oil filter. It is a fine mesh screen and plugs quickly.

90% of the people I know do not watch the sight glass for proper lubrication pumping. Running the grinder without lubrication is like driving your car without oil.....a very bad thing. If other people are running the grinder I would stay with the Harig oil. If using another oil I would check it weekly.

I wonder how straight #30 or #20 oil would work??

Jim

I was using Vactra #1 until I spoke with the factory. They insisted that unless I used their oil, I could expect pump problems. They claim that their oil is specially formulated for the machine. IIRC, last year a gallon ran me about $50.

Mike

I cleaned the chips and crud out of the crevices under the table and between the base of the casting and the cabinet.What a PITA that Harig didn't raise the base an inch instead of the 1/4" or less. :mad:

Way oil sump was clean.Cleaned out the coolant tank.

The way oil pump is a Bijur lubricator part #32671 . This is the link to the pdf file on it.

http://www.bijur.com/documentation/34012_B_LUB_MtrDriven-gear-recirculating_DS.pdf

The pump will pump 160 SUS to 1170 SUS lubricant viscosity at 100 degrees F so I don't think the pump is going to have problems.

I had to grind the nicks and scratches off the chuck so I had to run the table to the ends of travel.It was dripping a good bit of oil off the ways and puddling on the cabinet instead of running down the base and returning to the sump.I suspect that a lighter weight oil like Vactra #1 which is 166 SUS at 100 degrees F or Harig oil would be less likey to drip like the Vactra #2.

So I believe I will go with the Vactra #1 as the Harig oil at $50/gal is unreasonable.

Thanks Guys!!!

I thought I would "way in" on the way oil topic. I recently bought a Harig 612. I am doing a bearing job on it currently and researched what oil to use and ended up talking to someone who does part sales for Harig via a Google search. I bought a gallon of their oil for the sum of $130, delivered to the left coast. He also pitched for a new pump, claiming that the 120 volt one should be replaced with one of his $600 pumps (as I recall). Yikes!
So I decided to do an experiment by introducing a small amount of water into a small glass jar. One with Harig oil and one with Vactra way oil. They have sat for 3 months in my shop and every time I walk by them I give them a little shake. See pictures.
To me it is clear none of the oils shaken or not, have separated water from the oil. Maybe the Harig oil, less so but remember when the pump is off the water will separate. Thus allowing the pump to transfer the water through the ways. Even if the pump is on for awhile, mixing the oil with the water, the result is still molecules of water in the oil flowing across the ways. Not a good scenario. Let me add that when I terminated this experiment and cleaned the glass jars out with a paper towel, it was the Harig oil that was more the sludge. The Vactra oil because it separated more so than the Harig, was still very oily.
My personal conclusion is this. I think if you art getting sludge in your oil, the likely hood is the grinding particles are finding their way into the oil. On a 612, I personally would not use a flood coolant set up. Maybe a spray bottle but that's it. After I use my Harig oil up, I have no qualms with using a #1 way oil. I think Harig is selling a product and that is about it.
On the topic of pumps...my 612 camp with 3 pumps...all dead. So I Youtubed this guy who bought a pulse pump off Amazon. I bought one (I think $30) and will be installing that one. I will set it up to turn on and off with the spindle. I could go through 20 of these to the cost of a Harig one. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• Harig way oil shaken.jpg
    Harig way oil shaken.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Harig Way w water unshaken.jpg
    Harig Way w water unshaken.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Vacra Way w water shaken.jpg
    Vacra Way w water shaken.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Vacra Way w water unshaken.jpg
    Vacra Way w water unshaken.jpg