What's new
What's new

Drilling lead

kartracer55

Aluminum
Got a question for you guys. What do I need to know about drilling through lead? I know the health risks, but do I use cutting oil? Look for chips or curls? Fast or slow drilling speeds? Gotta drill a few holes in lead 1-2 inches thick

Thaks

Jim

Peck drill like drilling plastic. No coolant. Lead is a pig to drill. It grabs the drill bit and binds it up in a big hurry. Don't wait until it starts to seize to pull it back, just peck away at it. If it does seize don't try to go forward. Wind out the bit in reverse.

Grind a neutral rake at the cutting edge, like for brass...that will eliminate the grabbing/seizing. Probably won't need a lubricant, but if you do, go ahead and use coolant, if only to keep things from galling.

If you use coolant don't use water-based anything--use oil. Lead is soluble in water, so you'll end up with lead-contaminated water. Of course for all I know lead may be soluble in oil, too. So watch out for that.

I'd imagine you should be going dead slow, because lead melts at such a low temperature, you don't want to build up much heat at all.

I've never done it though, I'm just using intuition.

-Justin

I did a lot of machining in lead (it used extensively in the nuclear industry). I use kerosene for lubrication and sharp, low rake HSS tools and low-helix drills. Moderate to low speed.

Back