Mr B is offline Hot Rolled

Checking out my Harig before applying some power to it.I plan on using Vactra #2.

Any Harig owners using some other way oil or the recommended Harig way oil?

Thanks!

The Shootist is offline Aluminum

Vactra 2 has a viscocity of about 70 ISO while the 150-225 SUS is thinner than SAE 10 wt.

Vactra 2 is going to be too thick for the pump. (the pump, if like ours at school, is just a coolant pump)

Might want to chech with a local oil dealer, for something a bit thinner.

donie is offline Diamond

I can say that Harig way oil is better then vactra. You wont like the price though.

JRIowa is offline Diamond

Vactra #2 is ISO-68 or about 315 SUS. Way (no pun intended) to heavy. If you can find Vactra #1 that's about 150 SUS.
    JR

JimGlass is offline Stainless

Harig told me to use only their way oil and nothing else. Their way oil does not turn to sludge as quickly as other way oil.

I have ran Harig grinders for 25 years and have a 6 x 12 at home. They are not kidding obout the sludge build up particulary when coolant is used. I have done oil changes on Harig's where the oil was dipped out by hand. Like handling jellow. Needless to say the slude was not being pumped either. Also check the oil filter. It is a fine mesh screen and plugs quickly.

90% of the people I know do not watch the sight glass for proper lubrication pumping. Running the grinder without lubrication is like driving your car without oil.....a very bad thing. If other people are running the grinder I would stay with the Harig oil. If using another oil I would check it weekly.

I wonder how straight #30 or #20 oil would work??

Jim

MDH
    MDH is offline Cast Iron

Harig oil is pricey, but it lasts a while, thats what I use in my Harig

mmambro is offline Cast Iron

I was using Vactra #1 until I spoke with the factory. They insisted that unless I used their oil, I could expect pump problems. They claim that their oil is specially formulated for the machine. IIRC, last year a gallon ran me about $50.

Mike

Mr B is offline Hot Rolled

I cleaned the chips and crud out of the crevices under the table and between the base of the casting and the cabinet.What a PITA that Harig didn't raise the base an inch instead of the 1/4" or less. :mad:

Way oil sump was clean.Cleaned out the coolant tank.

The way oil pump is a Bijur lubricator part #32671 . This is the link to the pdf file on it.

http://www.bijur.com/documentation/3...ulating_DS.pdf

The pump will pump 160 SUS to 1170 SUS lubricant viscosity at 100 degrees F so I don't think the pump is going to have problems.

I had to grind the nicks and scratches off the chuck so I had to run the table to the ends of travel.It was dripping a good bit of oil off the ways and puddling on the cabinet instead of running down the base and returning to the sump.I suspect that a lighter weight oil like Vactra #1 which is 166 SUS at 100 degrees F or Harig oil would be less likey to drip like the Vactra #2.

So I believe I will go with the Vactra #1 as the Harig oil at $50/gal is unreasonable.

Thanks Guys!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]