What's new
What's new

Grease, what kind, how much?

Wolf

Aluminum
I've got a Reed Prentice lathe I'm redoing. There is alot of grease in the threading gear/ feed gearing boxes. There are oil lines that lube the bearings, grease zerks that lube the bearings on the gears themselves. Is this just excess that has accumulated over time? A shot here and there over 40+ years adds up to many tubes. Is there a synthetic that will hang on to the gear teeth without having to be so thick to hold chips and dirt to do damage within. Thanks.......Wolf

if you want to get away from grease try "power punch" it is oil but is as sticky as snot, you might have seen the plastic box with gears at a parts store where you turn the crank and see it climb up the geers.

good stuff, not cheap, also very good during assembly of hydraulic cylinders.(lube for o-rings and poly packs)

Wolf

I think I would clean out the sump and start over. Use manufacturer's recommendation or if none is available an ISO 220 or 460 gear oil. Use steam cylinder oil if worm gears are present.

As far as a lube to exclude chips, the lube has no knowledge of whether the metal is desirable (gear) or undesirable (chip).

Hopefully this buildup of grease is an indication that your lathe received regular maintenance.

-Matt

I've done a little more digging, both in the lathe and online. A manual from years-gone-by states that the box has Alemite as a lubricant. What is Alemite? Just a brand of grease from decades ago? A history lesson is beginning to form from working on this, I think thats half the fun! Thanks..........Wolf

Thanks Mark, that was an eye opening test! Just yesterday I saw a Lucas gear set up at the store, and had in fact been pondering that while cleaning the lathe. Thanks much........Wolf

my sdvice would be to flush and flush again,
until everthing is spotless.
use a wet n dry vac to pull out the last dreges of it .. a rubber tube onto the end of the vac works well.
lots of kero.....flush kero... .flush kero.etc.
fresh lube in ......if its oil tight use hydrualic oil .if not suitable other stuff..and change every year.....or if your using suds......this will get in the boxes .so change more often.
other lathes dont have any lube on the actual gears .and these last for years.
just make sure everything is clean.
your concern is good......many neglect to even think about lubes......and there lathes still go on and on without.
all the best..mark

Back