What's new
What's new

Faux Aging Brass ?

Dr. Rob

Hot Rolled
Just finished a repair job on an antique brass item. Looking for a trick to age the part to match old, ancient patina.

Just a little heat helps make the part more yellowy than golden; that's good. Now I need a little brownish, and maybe some wax.

Anybody know a quick trick? (level of required quality not so high)

Look up patina and patine. It's been a few years since I did it but i think patine is technically correct.

I woud imagine many will post here. If not contact me and I will go through some books for you.

tom

New Hermes sell their brass black to darken engraving on brass. It has selenium dioxide and does a pretty good patina. The cold gun blue formulations usually have the same ingredients and work pretty well on brass and copper. They can be purchased at many places. Tomwalz has the best approach to do sophisticated work.

Jim

I use Precision Brand Tool Black, from MSC and other sources in quart bottles. It will blacken steel, which is the advertised purpose. But it will also produce a dark patina on brass and other metals.

If you only need a couple of fluid ounces, try Birchwood Casey cold gun blue, from any gun dealer.

You can dip it if the object is small enough. Otherwise, use rubber gloves and a gauze pad. Rinse with water and blow dry with a hot air gun. Brush with a stiff bristle brush (not steel wire) or rub with a dry cloth, still with the gloves on. Wax is optional.

Larry

Forrest is right, degrease the item and brush or soak it in pee!(cat pee is the best) other wise you can rub egg yolk on it for a nice mellow tarnish. Both will work better if you warm the piece first (hand hot). The more frequently you do it the deeper the colour.

Charles.

Just dont eat asparagus the day before- it might change the color.

Pretty scientific, you guys.

If you did want to use a repeatable commercial product- these guys sell a pretty complete line-
http://www.surfinchemical.com/

Andy Warhol did a big series of "pee paintings"- 4x10 sheets of copper on the studio floor, and whoever came by to visit was asked to contribute.
I saw some in the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh the last time I was there, and they are actually pretty impressive looking.

Vinegar & salt, will turn it green & even pit it some if you want it to look really ancient. Butch

Made these for friends who lives in an old farmhouse, the catchs are spending the winter hanging on a tree in a French orchard to gain the appropriate patina.
catch.jpg

Mark

Depending on its size, suspend it in a suitable container and pour some household ammonia i the bottom of the container and cover the container. The fumes will "age" it.

It's the "active ingredient" in the abovementioned urine, cat pee has more than most so that would be why it would work better than just saying "Piss on it!".

Might have to heat it some for extra fuming, if it's cold in your shop.

BTW, ammonia works on oak, too, called "fumed oak".

Cheers,

George

Dr Rob,
Link to Fuming Brass: http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/tech/antique_brass.shtml

Read the second section.

Re-reading your original post, you just want to repair the finish on the part you cleaned and fixed.

I don't know if fuming will do just that, or will make the rest of it darker than it was.

Regardless, if cat pee will do it, then household ammonia, at about 69 cents for a half gallon jug will surely do it quicker. Easier to get than to ask your tomcat for a donation, too.

Litter boxes don't smell nearly as bad on day 1 as they do on day 2.

Whatever, go get a sample from your cat.

Cheers,

George

I've had good success using the Birchwood Casey Antiquing formulas and they are readily available at most gun stores. You can use them on other metals as well. I touch up small repair spots with a small sponge brush or a simple scrap of cloth.

Back