What's new
What's new

OT: Fast diesel

Asquith

Diamond
JCB have taken the World’s land speed record for a diesel-engined vehicle, raising it from 236 to 328 mph:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCB_Dieselmax

The initials stand for Joseph Cyril Bamford, who started from a garage in the small town of Uttoxeter. His ancestors were no strangers to engineering, making things like this:-

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/Asquith1/JCB0001.jpg

In the UK, JCB is the generic name for a backhoe, just as ‘a Hoover’ is the generic name for a vacuum cleaner.

JCB is a rare example of a flourishing UK manufacturer. No doubt this is due in part to it being a private company, run by people who want to make money from making things. Most UK manufacturers have fallen prey to takeovers and to ‘The City’, the men in suits whose credo is ‘Take, don’t make’, and whose only target is a fast buck.

Another unusual feature about JCB is that they go against the tide of outsourcing. Making their own diesel engines is a relatively new venture (although I don’t know to what extent the engines are ‘made’ as opposed to ‘assembled’ by JCB).

Disclaimer: I am unconnected with JCB, although I was connected to the grinding contraption when I caught my finger in its gears.

Asquith------A running mate to your JCB Diesemax Streamliner is the Banks Cummins Diesel- Sidewinder, a full size Dodge pickup. Bonneville records for the mark were 222 MPH, up 60 MPH from the old record and over 21 MPG on fuel mileage.

The pickup was used to pull/haul a trailer loaded with tires, spares from LA to Bonneville, a couple of years back, do Speedweek getting into the 200 MPH club, then pull the trailer back to La.

Your JCB thinkers are right there with the American hot rodders. Have fun-drink beer.

J

Joe,

21 mpg, eh? Perhaps there should be a record based on speed x mpg. There used to be something in the Le Mans 24 hour race called the 'Index of Thermal Efficiency', using a mysterious formula, which cynics said was factored to allow a French car to win a prize.

JCB have now broken their own record, with 350 mph, and they haven't yet got into 6th gear! When they do, perhaps fuel consumption will improve.

I don't suppose it'll go as fast with the bucket on the front.

Asquith,

JCB 'hoes are fairly common in the states. Well regarded as "good equipment".
I have no knowledge if they are UK "imports" or if JCB has established an assembly plant here.
It's a good indicator when you see construction rental companys investing in a particlar brand, as many have with JCB, maintenance being their greatest concern.
Interesting fact, the steering wheels are on the same "side" as they are in England:).

Bob

Bob,
JCB has a factory in Pooler, Georgia.

Chris,
'For the first time in the history of the 24 Hours of Le Mans the Audi R8, the most successful Le Mans Prototype ever, was awarded the prize for being the most environmentally friendly sports car produced. Deciding factors were, in this case, the fuel consumption during the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in relation to the vehicle's weight and average speed and also the lowest possible engine noise.'

Environmentally-friendly 24 hour car racing? Lowest engine noise? Whatever next - recyclability? Beam me up, Scotty.

Strange how the focus of such competitions becomes re-focused according to trendy political whims.

Ten years of endurance racing, & contributing to winning a few, albeit on two wheels reminds me of efficiency in all things be it wheel or brake changing time or re-fuelling. Over 24 hours & more than 2,000 racing miles an extra half lap per pit stop can equate to a potential winning margin of 5 laps from fuel economy alone, an immensely wealthy advantage to enjoy in the apres midi of a La Sarthe Sunday.

I am certain that teams have strived greatly for a balance of speed over economy for many seasons, given the years that endurance racing has enjoyed popularity it is rather odd that only recently has efficiency become a gong winner.

regards

Brian

Back