What's new
What's new

Chuck key for Lodge & Shipley collet chuck

1968FJ40

Aluminum
I am looking for a key to actuate the closer on a collet chuck I acquired. The chuck is a Lodge & Shipley collet chuck that fits an L-1 spindle, the key must have a "gear" on the end similar to what you would see on a regular drill chuck? This is from a machine that I would guess is of 1940's vintage, probably surplus military? Anybody got one to sell, or maybe a sample that I can copy? Pictures of the chuck and collets can be found at the supplied link:

http://finance.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ReedPrentice/photos/browse/4905?c=

Kirk

Man, Yahoo blows dead donkeys. It won't let me look at the pics without logging in.

If the collet chuck you are talking about has collets with ears about halfway down the shank, you are about 20-30 yrs off on your age estimate... and I don't mean it was made in the 60s or 70s, heheh.

I can't bring up your picture but your chuck sounds just like the one I have also missing its key. its a l1 mount and the collets are marked lodge and shipley. I did some head scratching and I came up with a key for a half inch jacobs ball bearing chuck fits the gears set perfectly. all you would have to do is knock the tee out of the key make up a large tee handle out of some shafting drill the chuck end of the tee to fit the jacobs key then cross pin it through the original hole in the key. The only other thing it might need is a coller on the new handle to control the depth for the gear mesh.
here is the picture of the one I have, I will sell it if anyone needs one, l1 spindle mines L2 dooo!!!!!
hope this helps Mike
2005_0405arizona0017.jpg

Mike

Thanks, yes, that does look like what I have. I was planning on playing with various drill chuck keys, but hadn't yet gotten to that. I will get a Jacob's key tomorrow. And to the rest of you, sorry my pictures caused so much trouble, guess I forgot about the password issue for getting into the Reed Prentice group.

Kirk

Back