What's new
What's new

How do you remove the needle from a dial indicator?

Jim J.

Plastic
Got a Starrett 196 dial indicator for free - problem is, it's sticky. I'd like to disassemble it, both to learn about the internal mechanism and to try to clean it.

Disassembly requires removal of the pointer arrow. But how do you pull the pointer off without damaging anything? Is it a press fit, or is it threaded onto the shaft? Do I need a special tool to pull it (i.e. a tiny little bearing puller)???

I have the same problem with a 120A caliper. Can its pointer be removed using the same method as the 196?

Thanks Guys...

They are (Usually) friction fit. If you are afraid of scratching the dial, put something on the face such as tape to protect it and get two opposing tiny levers and pry it off. This is how many indicators and pocket watch hands are retained. John

The 196 is a good candidate for a first trial
at dismantling a dial indicator. Not much
to lose, not much to go wrong.

The hand is a press-fit onto a shallow tapered
shaft. You could obtain a tiny clock hand
puller, or make one, or do as suggested, which
is to gently pry from behind - using something
to protect the dial. They're not on terribly
tight. The advantage to the puller is, it does
not apply any thrust to the shaft. But the
196 is pretty rugged.

Once you have it apart, clean all parts (except
the painted face of course!) with a solvent,
and re-assemble with less ATF oil than you would
imagine. Best to apply sparingly with a loop
at the end of a thin wire, held in a stick.

Jim

If memory serve me correctly, you don't have to remove the needle on a 196 unless having to replace or rework the bushing. The back cover comes off so that the mechanism can be cleaned and oiled.

i remember the fist dti i was given when i started work. a welder had used it previously aligning something but did not remove it before welding. seamed ok on the out side but the contents was toast litraly welded to the rack on the plunger. the hand on that was lttle more than a thumb press instalation and poped of easly with little more than a gentle tug from a my fingers. just be carfull about any side load bending that little spindle though.

ps if its dead what have you got to lose from trying to fix it though. good luck

Back