What's new
What's new

OT- Hino box truck won't go into gear

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1995 small Hino cab over with 360,000 miles....Auto tranny shifter lever refuses to move past neutral (there is no 'park' on mid size truck autos).

I suspect this is because the emergency brake cable is stuck, due to truck just sitting around for weeks at a time without use, such that when the brake lever is released, the brakes are not "really" released.

You guys agree, and if so what's the quick and dirty cure ? (i.e. where's the best place to kick it and/or slather it with P.B. Blaster !)

I agree with Shootist. I have a VW beetle that I just replaced the brake light switch because of the same problem. Easiest way to check is to step on the brake pedal and see if you got brake lights if not the problem is in the switch.

Took another look at the situation. You don't have to press the brake to engage the tranny, but you do have to lower the emergency brake. When I do so, the cable does seems to move, but there is indeed a brake light on the dash, that doesn't go out.

So it seems that either the brake light switch has gone bonkers, or the emergency brake cable has enough corrosion that it is releasing some, but not quite all the way.

I wonder where that brake light switch is actually located ? Could it be on the emergency brake handle itself ? :confused:

Hmm, likely the E-brake is thru the rear brakes only.

Couple places to look, often times (and I don't know no Hino :D just going by other vehicles) the cables are "free" and without the jacket for much of the run rearward.

So, I'd look at the transition points where the inner cable enters the outer jacket, and also if the things have any routing on the rear axle tubes themselves. Probably have to break out your creeper to inspect this thoroughly.

Check also if it has a cable for the the shifter that it isnt stuck. Is the truck parked on level ground or a grade. Sometimes if on a grade even auto tranny will jam. At that age some of the shift linkage bushing mite be broken. If it is the brake switch, it is most likly atached to the brake pedal or is a presure switch on the master brake cylinder.

Seems that a tight cable means the PARKING brake is on and the cables would be tight and a switch would be made lighting the indicator light in the process.

Releasing the Parking Brake, should release and slack the cables, releasing the switch and turning off the light,

Look for a limit switch in the parking brake lever area that might be stuck.

Try pulling fuses out one at a time, maybe that will disable it, maybe not.

Can you not reach the actual shift linkage and move it instaed of try the levers?Make sure wheels are blocked and put a wrench on it and see how free it is.It should be fine,not too many get seized inside,but..see if it will go into all gears then.You can also spray som lube on e-cables and yank on them by hand a few times to see if the are moving back enough.Good Luck.

change all cables,at 360k surprised orig are still in use.park brake on trans output.trans w/out park is lighter end of alison line.it was the hd option on fe model.better than aisin or jatco,just a little abrupt in light shifts.you might consider changing out complete park brake assy.,road salt delaminates brake lining and rusts all springs.sold as unit and quite reasonably priced. surf

If the cabel is stuck, you might check the ground between the body and engine. I have seen cables welded on the inside because of a bad ground. Did you jump start this truck??

change all cables,at 360k surprised orig are still in use
Why are you jumping to that conclusion ? I've only owned the truck for 10,000 miles....the previous 350,000 were run up by Hill Rom and maintanied by Ryder...so for all I know the cables were changed 20,000 miles ago.

I just replaced the brakelight switch on my '93 Taurus last night. It fixed the gearshift problem (couldn't get it out of park), the no brakelight problem, and the cruise control problem (wouldn't dis-engage when the brakes were applied). The only tool needed was a flashlight, took less then 5 minutes, and I even got change from a $10 bill!
Bob

What is your opinion of the Hino. I have had a couple of Isuzus. The 26K GVW was computer controlled and lacked power. The 33K GVW was a year earlier and was a good truck. The two dealers in the Minneapolis area didn't have the computer diagnostic equipment! Unbelievable. After selling the truck I found out that Ryder Rentals had a large fleet of Isuzus and complete diagnostic equipment. Their garage would work on other's trucks. I really like the cab-over design for in town use.

Just a followup that today I finally got back to examining the Hino situation. What I found was the emergency brake cable is not stuck, and the emergency brake is working fine in total. I did find that the emergency brake hand lever does indeed have a limit switch on it, and if I short it's 2 wires, the beeper stops whining (at decibles greater than a crying baby !).... but annoyingly, the brake light still doesn't go out. :mad:

Nonetheless, I also discovered the whole "not going in gear" thing was unrelated to the brake light, as the gear lever was simply stuck ! I pryed it loose at the transmission and now it goes into gear just fine.

Soooo, the situation now is the truck is driveable, everything works fine....but I have to wonder why that damn brake light is still glowing in my face !

The brake light is definitely in the circuit with the emergency brake limit switch, but the emergency brake limit switch is working fine and apparently something else in the brake circuit is not closing. Any ideas what ? :confused:

Brake warning light means one of three things. When you turn the key to start it lights up so you know bulb is okay. It stays lit as long as parking brake switch is on. So switch could be bad. Or it will stay lit if master cylinder is bad. Look at the proportioning vlave, somewhere near the master cylinder. There should be a wire going to a screw in fitting. this is a balance valve and if both master cylinders are not equal it will shift and move the switch. Normally you have to unscrew switch center tyhe vavle spool thne reinstall the switch. If you have antilock brakes good luck
Bill D.

JL, no, have not...didn't think old Hino's would have such a fancy smancy warning system...but maybe...I'll take a look tomorrow...good idea.

heno hb? low vac switch on vac res on side of frame rail.have replaced munged-up switches and rusted through tanhs.low vac and e-brake on same alarm sounder. surf

surf, are you in competition with Ox to see which of you can type the most incomprenhensible sentences ? ;)

Re low vac...yeah I thought about that, but that one has it's own light and the vac light is going out after the truck builds up vacuum...so I think the vacuum is ok.

Back